Hi, I would like if someone could explain to me the types of Parkinson's disease. My father has this condition and the doctor told us that he has idiopathic Parkinson's disease. This has led me to believe that there are different types of Parkinson's, but I didn't want to bother the doctor for an explanation. Therefore, I would appreciate if someone could share some information about this with me.

Hi, Parkinson's disease is a central nervous system condition. Basically the symptoms are the same in all the cases, but the difference is in the causes of the disease. Your father has the most common type of Parkinson's disease. Idiopathic means that the doctors do not know the cause of the condition and this is the real Parkinson's disease. But, sometimes, in a small number of cases, Parkinson's disease has a known cause. This is so-called secondary or symptomatic Parkinsonism. The causes are the following. Genetic mutations are one of the causes in the early onset Parkinson's. Sometimes, head trauma can trigger the development of the disease. Also, some environmental toxins, such as pesticides, may cause Parkinson's symptoms. And finally, there are medications that can induce the symptoms of Parkinson's disease. There are also Parkinson's plus syndromes, which share some of the parkinsonian symptoms, but have other complications, that are not associated with Parkinson's disease.

what is ideaopathic parkinsons?