Hi, my father is a sixty three years old man. After some problems that have occurred in his life we decided to take him to see a doctor. After some tests, he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. The doctor prescribed him some medicine. However, a new problem arose. My father is feeling very depressed. Could have Parkinson's disease caused depression?

Hi, first of all I would like to say that Parkinson's disease is difficult for the patient as well as for his family. I am saying this from my personal experience. My mother suffers from Parkinson's disease too. I wanted to know something more about it at the time when my mother, like your father, was feeling depressed. Parkinson's disease is a central nervous system degenerative disorder. It affects motor skills and sometimes speech. It can appear as a consequence of an unknown cause (idiopathic) but there are also cases in which the cause is known. Genetics, toxics and head trauma are those reasons. What I found out is that idiopathic Parkinson's disease, the one my mother has, can also have a psychiatric underlying conditions. Among them are anxiety and depression. The thing is, this kind of depression is rarely found and therefore rarely treated by the doctors. This is mostly because the symptoms are somewhat different than the ones present in "normal" depression. However, since I spend a lot of time with my mother, and I am sure that you do with your father, I saw the change. After this acknowledgement I talked to my mother's doctor about it. He scheduled an appointment on which new tests were made and my mother was prescribed with new medicine. Therefore, Parkinson's disease can cause depression and I advise you to talk to your father's doctor about it.