Hello everybody. I have a problem and I am a little bit scared because I don’t know how dangerous it is. On my lower eyelid I have a small cyst. It is red and swollen and it hurts. I am afraid it can do something to my eye. What should I do? What sort of treatment is available? I would appreciate all the help I could get! Thanks!

Hi there! You probably have a Meibomian cyst. This cyst usually disappears on its own in about 8-16 weeks. If it doesn’t, then it is usually removed by a small operation in a hospital. It is done by injecting a little local anaesthetic into the eyelid to make it feel numb. Then the cyst is scrapped out. Sometimes the shell cannot be removed because it is very thick, and then you may have a small lump in the eyelid. You can then have another operation to get rid of this lump. But to know what sort of treatment you need, you have to visit a doctor, so that he can evaluate the problem.

Thaks for that info. I have a cyst on my eyelid which I have had for about three years. It appears to have gone bigger during the last eight weeks. I have visited my GP who said lt leave it because an operation could make it look worse! What do you think?

Hi Billybobs

I have had the op on my eye twice now. They turn the eyelid inside out under local (the local is the most painful bit I promise). Anyhow the point is there is no scarring its all done on the inside so I was surpised your Doctor said it could make it look worse.

After having both of mine done the eyes have returned to normal with no scarring or signs of any problems.

Hope that helps. Its a bit late now looking at the date, but if you still have it I would have it removed.

hi i have a cyst below my eye its really noticeable which i find anoying. i went to the doctor who said to go to the eye clinic but this could take forever (over a year possibly) any ideas on how to make it less noticable or get rid of it even????

thanks:-)