Recently I've undergone a pretty hefty amount of dental work to remove four impacted, partially rotted wisdom teeth and my four rear molar's due to decay. I have taken rather good care of my teeth, but regardless of my efforts I seem to continue to have problems.

Currently of concern, underneath one of my remaining rear molar's, I have a large bump (cyst-like) on the outside of my gum between my gum and cheek. It's only slightly tender (when brushing and flossing), and isn't very soft. It's been present about 5-6 days now consistantly, without change. It wasn't progressive, and formed rather quickly...accompanied by some tooth pain on that side the made biting down a little uncomfortable. I've visited the doctor recently due to a capsule/cyst like feature in my underarm, which seems to have begun shortly after the gum bump formed. He put me on antibiotics and said that they could be simply related swellings (which makes no sense to me).

I'm fairly concerned considering I have a grandfather that died of lymph node cancer. Although these bumps aren't as big as some seem to mention when regarding cancer (golfball size, etc), I'm worried that I may have something to worry about. I return for a physical in about 4 days to check the progress of the antibiotics, should I request a biopsy? I'm 26, with a wife and baby on the way...and I'm also worried I may be reading into things due to stress accompanying these things. Seeking advice...

I am a 24 year old and fem, concern for my 52 year old father (who takes extra good care of his mouth by the way), has been complaining about his gum area (teeth) irritating him for about a week. Just now (and I mean literally), I walked into my father's room to ask how is evening was? And he confided in me that his gum has a bump growing on it and he now feels very concerned. He stated the bump has gotten bigger progressively in such a short amount of days. I asked my father, may I take a look at it, and I was amazed at this Cyst like Bump that I am seeing. Immediately my father stated it's just a bump, however I knew it wasn't. This is definately a cyst.

I have a strong concern, for it appears that member(s) of my family (me and my father) are likely to get cysts in various areas. I myself have a small cyst like bump on my left eyelid that became aware to me 2 weeks ago by my boyfriend (I think it started with my excessive use of eye drops, and reading in dim lighting), and a year ago I had a cyst on my left back hand that I had to get drained.

Within seconds I jumped online and started googling Cyst Teeth Gum - and found your posted message.

I am taking my father to the Dentist Monday (he does not wish to go to the ER, for it's not giving him any pain, just tender swelling and it's as you stated uncomfortable). We are anticipating the doctor will prescribe him antibiotics for his gum. I do not want to be too calm about this issue, for the size is amazing (size of a peanut eminem - yeah now imagine that on your gum), where I feel I should be concern.

I feel that his excessive flossing may have aided to the irritation. My father also stated he rinsed his mouth with salt and warm tap water (via advice of a friend). That may have irritated him some more. Right now he is using a colgate mouth rinse called Peroxyl (antiseptic oral cleanser), and this may be causing some swelling to it.

What should we do? I looked at the advice you gave to our first guest, and it seems more of a promotion for a purchase. I read the entire article on vitafon and I don't feel this will help for the Cyst like Bump.

(f.y.i the cyst on my eyelid remains until it becomes uncomfortable. My eye doctor stated I can drain it myself or let it go away by on its own).

I am really not trying to be fresh (or rude), but is there any other advice you may have for this question of Cyst - Like Bump? For I respect and appreciate the service provided to answer medical questions for those with concerns. Is it possible that the over flossing caused it? and how else can it be fixed? And to Guest 1, Thank you for sharing your concern.

Please advise?

I have recently developed a similar bump. I noticed it yesterday and already it have begun to interfere with my ability to use my mouth. My first thought was abcess. I was searching the internet and found your posts. Further thought led me to a different culprit, particulary for the 52 year old gentleman. Vitamin B6 and Vitamin C deficiencies can lead to mouth sores and are also related to immune function. I'm not a doctor yet, but I do have a BS in Nutritional Science and would advise every possible test be done if you have a history of lymph node cancer, but I would also advise upping your vitamin C and considering a B6 supplement if you aren't on one. If you take a multivitamin, that would probably not be sufficient if you have a real dietary insufficiency. Think about what you've been eating or not eating. Has it changed? You're very correct to think stress may be a culprit, so cut it down anyway you can. Also, you may have a digestive problem, common with dietary deficiencies so talk to your doctor. Most dietary deficiencies are not diagnosed in adults unless they are already severe, but if you ask, your doctor may have something more to say.

Ask your dentist for a deep clean.

i had root treatment yesterday and this cyct appeared i drained it with a needle and puss and blood came out, there was pain in the cycst but now i it has gone. if it was anything serious it would have appeared on the xrays that my dentist took. i dont think it should be too serious if it is the same kind of thing as mine. Also cycts can appear from small knocks on teeth. After draining the cycst i havent had much more pain from that area of my mouth but i have another appointment with the dentist on wednesday ill let you know what she says.

I have a bump on my top right gum...similar to what people are posting...Tried to pop it when it first arrived, but nothing happened...Saw a doctor, he told me it looks to be binine. but did not know what it was...so I made an appointment with my dentist. Took some x-rays and referred me to an oral surgeon. (need wisdom teeth out anyways...) Since then, I have popped it and it does come back...When I get more info tomorrow, I'll try to post it here.

I have a same thing on my lower right gum. It's a small and it does get little bigger from time to time but always went back to same small size. I never tried to pop it becasue it never bother me or painful. However, i mentioned it to my dentist and he refers me to an oral surgeon. I suppose to see him on monday. I'll post it as soon as i found out what it is.

i have the exact same thing bump on my lower right gum but the weird thing is that ive had it for more a year already and its never really bothered me. its hard and little and has no feeling really. i dont know what this could be i guess im seeking advice on this one too...

Hi everyone! I found this site when I was looking for help with a cyst-like bump in my mouth. I had my wisdom teeth out a few months ago, and recently a pretty large lump developed on my lower gums in between my cheek and gums. It was not painful unless touched or pushed on. I went to the oral surgeon and she told me it was a late post-operative infection, and put me on five days of penicillin.
She told me that if the lump was not gone after the penicillin was finished, she would have to make an incision and drain it... which I'm scared to have done. Today I am on my last day of penicillin, and the bump is exactly the same. I know it's not a scary as getting wisdom teeth out, which I've already been through, but I'm still pretty scared. I have to call her today to tell her that the bump is still the same size. I'll let you guys know how the rest of this goes.

damn it! 2 years ago after i woke up from bed i noticed that my left cheek was swollen and was kinda bigger than my right cheek. It also felt like i had a toothache. I later found out that there was a big lump at my left upper gum. After a few days of taking pain killers and some other subscripted stuff, the lump became smaller and my cheek went back to normal size. That was October of 2007. At June 2008, I woke up from bed with the same damn toothache and noticed that my cheek was swollen AGAIN! The damn lump grew again. Then after 3 days or so it went back to normal again. Now, February 2 2009, I woke up with a toothache then after a few hours the damn lump grew again! I've been failing subjects due to absences because of this damn... whatever this is! What the hell is going on?! Whenever I go to the dentist they just subscribe some stuff but it comes back anyway!

well i have had a bump on my front top gums for like 6 years it goes and comes back well it got me scared when i popped it and puss and blood came out well i found out this is the cause of my bad teeth because i do brush daily they said it could cause my teeth and jaw to decay its a terrible infection.. now i have to do something its affection my life im done with tooth aches

I have the same thing everyone else described above yet nobody came back to say what the heck it is..... oh well, guess I'll have to wait until my dentist tells me next week.

I went to the dentist recently and he told me what it was. If it is soft and it moves it is an abscess which is painful. If it is non-painful and it doesn't move and it feels like a rock it is extra bone. This bone is caused from clenching your teeth at night or during the day. I never realized it but I clench anytime I'm stressed. He said that if you do it regularly bone will start to grow and the bone will never go away. You have to have it surgically shaved down or if it's just a small bump then don't worry about it and stop clenching! It's a bad habit but you can buy a mouth guard to help at night. If you continue the bone will continue to grow and you'll get more as you get older.

Hi! I have been suffering from the same thing within the past two years. Two days ago I had the 6th (I think) cyst within these two years. Its located on the gum between my front and lateral left incisors. When it starts to swell the pain is unbearable that I kept waking up in my night sleep. So, I decided to see the dentist yesterday. She did an x-ray on me and saw that there is a black spot between the incisors and its eating away my lateral incisor. She doesn't know if its a bacterial infection or if its a problem from a dead nerve in the teeth. So she sent me to an endodontics (root canal specialist) to be checked if its the root canal.

So I went there this morning and the endodontics performed a couple tests on me to find out if its the root canal that is the problem. He tested me using cold cotton to check if the nerve is alright. I felt it, so the nerve is alright. He wasn't sure what the problem is too so he consulted with an oral surgeon to have my tissue removed to be checked. I still don't know what this cyst is, what causes it, what can I do to get it healed. I will post back once I get an answer. I hope my post helps.

I had the same bump on my lower gum years ago. I kept on popping it and it came back a few times but when it didnt come back it I thought it probably wasnt a big deal anyway. Ive been to the dentist recently and had to get my molar which was the tooth above the bump removed as it was decayed and I found out the bump was an abscess and a sign of infection. If you have this bump on your gum, even if it isn't a problem go and see a dentist straight away. I had to go through so much pain when my tooth decayed as there was also an infection. If I had gone to see a dentist sooner I could have saved my tooth and just got a crown but now I have a missing tooth!! I also found out that I have a cyst in my gums because I left the infection untreated for so long. But now am on anitibiotics to get rid of the cyst.