Is there anybody who could tell me about the treatment of degenerative jaw joint disease? Thank you for your time!!!!

Hi there! I suppose you mean The temporomandibular joint syndrome or TMJ. This disorder is usually self-limiting and does not get worse. In this case, simple treatment like self-care practices, rehabilitation aimed at eliminating muscle spasms, and restoring correct coordination, is all that is required. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory analgesics (NSAIDs) should be used on a short-term, regular basis. However, chronic TMD causes problems and it should be treated by the number of experts like primary care physician, a dentist, a physiotherapist, a psychologist, a pharmacologist, and in small number of cases, a surgeon. The most coomon meds in this case are NSAIDs, muscle relaxants, and tricyclic antidepressants. Occlusal splints can be used as well. These are known as nightguards, bruxism appliances, or orthotics. Various kinds of splints are available; most of them can be classified into 2 groups—anterior repositioning splints and autorepositional splints. There are surgical procedures as well like arthrocentesis, arthroscopic surgery, and open surgery.

Today, Feb 9, 2013, I am in pain due to degenerative jaw joint diesease. I have tried all conservative approaches and nothing is working.  Is there surgury I can research for this?