I recently paid a visit to the ER because I hurt my back. I learned that I had a 6th lumbar vertebrae. The doctor said that this is most likely the cause of my lower back pain. I 've read many things that said this shouldn't cause lower back pain and I've read many things that said it does. I learned that only about 10%-15% of the population has this "anamoly."

My questions:
Does anyone else have this?
If so, do you have lower back pain that radiates into your legs?
How have you dealt with the pain?

I have requested an MRI. I think I have a herniated disk. I fit almost all of the symptoms for it. It hurts to sit in most positions. It hurts to cough and sneeze. It hurts to bend my neck down--as if in a praying position. It hurts to lift my legs while sitting.

This has been going on since December '07.

Anyone else experienced any of this?

Any input or advice is appreciated!!

Thanks!!

--LinZ

I just recently was diagnosed with two herniated disks and I have all the same symptoms you describe above.

I also have a "lumbarization of the S1" or an extra "6th" lumbar vertebra. I've also heard conflicting messages about whether or not it causes pain, but I've had a nagging pain that comes and goes for about 4 years now. I haven't been able to lay comfortably on my stomach since 2004 and I believe my pain has been caused by that extra vertebra. I'm otherwise healthy and should have no other reason for low back pain!

the pain that radiates into your legs is from the herniated disk pushing on nerve roots that exit your spinal cord.

I've dealt with the pain with lots of rest (don't sit!) and alternating between ice packs and a heating pad. I've also started seeing a chiropractor which I found helps tremendously! I start decompression therapy this week too, which is a surgical alternative approved by the FDA and boasts a phenomenally high success rate.

You may find some relief from over the counter pain medicines, but unfortunately for me those did not do the trick. I've been taking vicodin every night to be able to sleep for a month now. Don't be afraid to ask for stronger pain meds if over the counter stuff doesnt work...no need to suffer and you definitely need good rest and good sleep to heal!

I would recommend seeing a chiropractor and looking into decompression therapy...good luck! feel better soon!

Thank you for your reply!!

I actually was seeing a chiropractor for my neck--it was out of alignment--but when I told him about my back pain, all he did was used this little clicky thing that hurt and left bruises on my back and did not help at all.

What type of chiropractor do you see? Just a "normal" one? Mine specialized in the field of Atlas Orthogonal (sp?).

I will definitley look into decompression therapy. I'm a nursing major and just really can't and don't have any down time.

I've started seeing a physical therapist but I've only been once and it was not very productive. I go back today. I hope it goes a little better this time.

Again, thank you for your reply!!

--LinZ

that little clicky thing is called an actuator (I think) and I'm having it used on my back right now too, because the chiro doesnt want to adjust my back in the traditional way since I'm using the decompression treatment and my ligaments and such will be much more loose during the therapy.

and yeah, it does hurt a little bit...but when I first started getting traditional adjustments for my disks, those hurt too. I'm about 3 weeks into it and it no longer hurts to get adjusted. Perhaps your chiro was using the clicky thing because he did not want to put that much force onto a possibly herniated disk right away. It's good to get an MRI so you can know exactly whats going on in there.

Unfortunately there really are no quick fixes and you have to do something (like adjustments and physical therapy) for a pretty long time before you can feel totally "normal". I'm doing physical therapy, chiro adjustments and the decompression therapy 3 times a week for 8 weeks and I've felt relief after week one. I do NOT want an epidural injection or a spinal fusion. Those things are BAD news and seem to cause more problems for people than they fix.

I'm glad to hear you're going to therapy! I actually work at a physical therapy office and the first visit you have usually isn't productive. You have to work up to the level you would think you would be at when you start therapy. You might even feel worse after the first few sessions! While it may seem like you're not doing anything, the therapists know better and I've seen patients over exert themselves many times because they feel like they aren't doing anything and should be doing more.

Now that I've made the longest post ever...lol. Stick with it! Be patient and you'll feel better before you know it!

Hi!!! first of all i have to apologize 'cause my english is not so good, i'm from mexico, i'm 22 years old... i have an extra lumbar vertebra too, i've discovered it when i was 14 because one day without a cause i had a lot of pain in my back, i couldn't walk, to stoop, to remain standing up, the only "confortable" position was in to bed (and believe me, not so much!). i went to the doctor and he told me about my extra vertebra, he injented me an analgesic and he said that i shouldn't be worry about it... two years later i had inconveniences again but i calm my pain with a simple medicine for back-pain named 'robaxisal' (metobarbamol & acetilsalisilic acid)... 1 year later i had pain again and i took another medicine strongest than robaxisal but i do not remember its name. I normally feel pain in my back when I use 'high shoes', when i'm gonna have my menstruation and when i load heavy things, also the doctor told me that i can to pacify the pain with regular exercises of 'column hygiene' like sleeping of side with a pillow between my legs and do some regular activities like sweeping and things like that in different and better ways.

First of all i thought i was something like a phenomenon but now it is just part of my life, i've never had legs pain or somethig extra than my extra vertebra! =) but i'm really worried about what willl happens when i get pregnant... bye!!!

I am 37 years old. I discovered I have a 6th vertebra at the age of 24. I found out after having xrays done by a chiropractor. I visited the chiropractor only a few times during a 2 month period. Whatever discomfort I had continued and i realized whatever pain I was feeling could be relieved by a good massage. Today I have no pain issues to complain about. I am sure to stretch and workout regularly to keep strength and flexibility.

I have been having lower back pain for the past couple of weeks and last night and today it became unbearable. I went to the doctor and they did an xray. They found that I have an extra vertabrae too. So far the medication has not helped, and I am constantly in a lot of pain that prevents me from being able to sit, walk or do anything comfortably. any suggestions?

I've had low back pain since I was 3 years old, and I was diagnosed with JRA from a positive Lymes test. A few days ago (I'm 20 now), I found out I have a 6th vertebrae. The rheumatologist said that that would not be causing my pain at all, but he so no inflammation to indicate RA any longer but my back pain is very severe and radiates up both sides of my back now.

I am 33 male and have been off work for 6 months. I have a sacralized sixth vertebrea. I also have a spina bifida occulta at S1 plus a slight reversal of cervical lordosis (normal curve) at C5. I slipped a disc in my lower back and could not even walk. I have broken my hand three or four times and don't go to the doctor. usually handle pain in stride. I have been on pain pills the whole time. tried PT did not help. Went through a discogram where they put a needle into the disc and fill it with dye. worse then breaking bones or anything experienced to this point. The doctor tried for fourty minutes to get the needle into the bad disc. The other discs hurt a little and very uncomfortable but nothing like that one, by the time he was done pushing (very hard) to break the skin of the vertibrea I was just laying there shivering like a child. Nobody can tell me why the disc is so hard. Now they want to fuse the vertebrea. I feel there is more going on, when I first hurt it to look in the mirror you could see my spine curved dramatically now it is not as bad but still hve to sleep on the sofa the bed hurts it. Will be seen by second neurosergeon next month. The muscles in my back are as tight as they could be but after months of PT they are still the same. Just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone thank you.

I had lower back pain out of nowhere for a couple of days. it was excrutiaing at times. i went to the doctor and got x-rayed and found out i had an extra vertebrae. the doctor gave me a shot of some antiinflamatory painkiller and within a day i was fine. i'm 38 years old and had no idea or any real problems before, but i too cannot sleep on my stomach at all.

I found out i had an extra vertebrae when i was 9! after months of me and my mom complaining to the doctor about my back hurting, she then sent me to the hospital for X-rays.

I went to physiotherapy for over five years, and gave up because it hadn't helped the pain at all. My doctor says that she doesnt know what to suggest, and sometimes even accuses me of making up the fact that i'm in pain.

I'm 18 now and i've sort of learnt to live with the pain. My back constantly hurts and pain killers only make a mild difference. I just dont know what to do about it anymore.

When I was 29 I threw my back out after a) a snowboarding fall. b) the next day practicing splits during synchro. c) shoveling the wet snow after a huge February storm.

I couldn't walk at all, and my friend drove me to the doctor, I was crawling around my apartment. The doctor gave me muscle relaxers, which helped, I could walk. But it didn't really help. I moved around like an old lady; I could barely stand up from sitting.

I went to the chiropractor, he x-rayed me, and asked how old I was again. He explained to me that by the time we're 18 or 19 those "extra vertebrae" in the sancral region "fuse" together. Mine never did, just like everyone else in this post. He explained my lower back will always be unstable due to this added spinal flexibility. We have extra discs in there, too.

I spent weeks going to him and getting adjusted, and it's mostly worked. I now do aerial dance, and constantly stretch myself, and my back has started hurting pretty bad again. I remembered that in my twenties I'd go to yoga, and I never had any problems while I did that.

Tonight I went to a vinyasa flow yoga class, and it has been the first relief in weeks for my back. I don't know if yoga can help everyone, especially people with herniated discs. But maybe it might help some other people reading this.

I liken yoga class to giving yourself an internal massage, with the positions they have you stay in and breathe through. The stretching of the ligaments in the lower back from yoga seems to help a lot. But I know I must stay with the yoga routine, or my back will start hurting again.

Good luck.

hey i also have a extra lower lumbar vertebra. i was told this wouldnt cause any problems but would only maybe make me more flexible. However i do have multible bulging discs and a mild herniated disc. i would reccomend an x ray and stomach tighenting exercises

im 48 and found out i hade a extra vertabra cant stand in one place lower back hurts bad

Just to be curious but is there any sort of surgery or something they can suggest for this or do you sort of just have to endure it? I'd like to kno wif you have an answer. Thanks!