I am glad i read that some other people have this problem. i sing in a band in memphis and just had a big outdoor show a few days ago.. but just yesterday i noticed when i swallowed i could feel on my adams apple
a popping or clicking. it does it most every swallow. i have been really worried that i may have hurt myself or just strained my throat.. i will keep reading anyones message on what i have done and will this keep up. also i wonder if i should see a doctor if this keeps up. if you are a throat doctor please give your thoughts.. thanks.. glenn from memphis

I have had the same problem and went to an ENT. He gave me antibiotics and steroids; neither of which worked. He thought it was a small tonsil that was inflamed. It is very bothersome so I am thinking about going back to my primary care physician. Would love to get rid of this. Mine is on the right side of my adam's apple and it 'pops' or 'clicks' almost every time I swallow!

Go and see a head and neck specialist to be sure, but i don't think it is serious. I have had similar symptoms, as well as the feeling of my Adam's apple getting dislocated, or "stuck when turning my head to the left. My doctor told me it is due to having a long, slim neck, and it nothing to worry about. Apparently it is something that affects gaffes too -LOL!

I have the exact same problem. I went to my ENT today about it and he said it was quite a common complaint. Apparantly it is your thyroid cartilidge rubbing against your vertabre...makes sense to me i guess. Can't think of another explination. He said it just happens to some people and it might go away or might not..we'll see.

its not normal i have it on right side and it started after being choked it like there is a crack in a bone and it clickes when i swallow

You ALL need to see the symptoms of Eagles Syndrome. I am a 43 year old nurse . 6 mos ago I had a sudden onset of clicking when I swallowed (otherwise perfect health), but it didnt always click if I turned my head a certain way. I waited for it to subside on its own. I googled-found many people plagued with same thing-very much misdagnosed. Hyoid bone involvment was what I finally found may be a cause-ussually from traume-wrestlers usually get this. The treatment is somewhat sangerous surgery-shaving down the Hyoid bone and surrounding ligamenture. I finally went to an ENT-Ears nose throat Dr-(You must consult a specialist-regular Drs dont know enough) I had a CT scan with dye and without-he found calcification on one side of my neck-the Styloid ligament and Styloid process (prominence that sticks out) may be problem. These structures pull the Larxny up when swallowing. He said I might have Eagles syndrom-I googled it and found many helpful sites. Good Luck...See an ENT and fro Gods sake-DONT SMOKE!!!!T Conservative treatment may include stretching excercises, Chiropractic, Steroid injection, NSAID non steridal anti-inflammatory drugs (like kicked up Motrin). Hopw this helps since so many people cant find answers. Julie 864-987-9708

I have experienced similar symptoms which you are describing. The Doctors I saw were baffled. One Dr (ear/nose/throat) wanted to put me on anti-anxiety medications. I was offended by this because I developed the impression that he thought I was "crazy". I was currenlty in school for PT and have graduated now. Since then I took it in my own hands to correct the problem myself. I read many blogs and determined this is a common problem which many people are very concerned about. I have had an upper GI, and a swallow study and everything was OK. This was great, but I still had clicking when I swallowed. During my self evaluation, I discovered that different positions of my head would elicit a greater clicking nose with swallowing. I also evaluated my posture and the surrounding neck musculature. Posturally, I had a forward head, increased cervical extension, forward shoulders, increased lumbar lordosis, and tight hip flexors. I also had decreased muscle length in my anterior neck muscles as well as tenderness in my upper traps, and sternocleidomastoids. All of these findings were affecting the way my neck moved, the mechanics of my TMJ, and the ability to swallow correctly. I treated my self with neck and hip flexor stretches, soft tissue message on my SCMs and upper traps, chin tucks, abdominal strengthening, and postural correction throughout the day. I have succesfully eliminated the clicking in my throat as well as the referred pain I was experiencing in the back of my throat (from TMJ dysfunction). I would suggest seeing a physical therapist regarding your symptoms to evaluate your posture, strength, and muscle length. I would suggest a therapist who performs myofascial therapy. I hope this information helps. There are many other serious potential causes which you should have ruled out. I strongly suggest you not treat yourself and let a qualified professional help you. The nurse in the previous post also gave some very valuable information that should be considered

Hello I too have experienced these symptoms in the past with my Adams apple popping or clicking. I own and operate a pilates studio in Memphis and much of my work involves correcting misaligned structures in the body caused by muscular imbalances. I accomplish this by creating a series of exercises using pilates that will both strentghen the weak muscles and lengthen the short tight muscles. This is how I fixed my own problem. Now what everyone here needs to understand is that yes trama or a hard blow for example can cause or contribute to this problem but 90% of the time it's due to disfunctional body movements or patterns. Basically you have bad habits you must break so this problem doesn't keep comming back. The gentleman who sings in particular needs to focus on "how" he is moving his head,jaw,neck and shoulders when he's on stage. Some quick and easy test for anyone to perform would be to ask yourself as you move your head" Do my shoulders always seem to be stuck to my ears? When you look down does your chin drop forward and down toward your lower chest vs your head stays high while just your chin moves straight down to your sternum? What about when you look up? Does the base of your skull touch the tops of your shoulders vs your chin lifting up with plenty of distance between the base of the skull and tops of the shoulders?" If you said yes to any of these questions then your body movements are incorrect causing insufficient firing of muscles you shouldnt be using and that alone over a course of repetition and time can cause structural misalignments throughout the body affecting proper positioning and proper functioning of the bodies parts including your "Adams apple".

nextlevelpilates

I have a very similar problem. It's not that painful at all just annoying. Every now and then randomly it comes back for a few days then leaves for a while. The very tip of my adam's apple gets stuck when I move my head left and right. I can even see it move back and forth in the mirror when I turn my head back and forth. When I put my thumb on it, it feels like a little bone or muscle that's out of place. Anyone experience this? Or, know what this is?

I am 13 and have a similar problem, my doctor said to take prylocec (sp?). I'll see if it works, it hurts when I swallow and I have the same "popping" feeling.

I don't have any clicking. To the right of my Adam's Apple is the tenderness affecting my inner ear even. I feel I have an infection because my breath is different. When I went to the ENT, I told him I was concerned that I had what Michael Douglas has. He went into my nose with a camera to look down into my throat and all looked well. The only thing he noticed was "cobblestone" like irritation from the constant dripping. I will be visiting my PC mid July because the discomfort comes from the inside more than just something in my throat. I don't think it's visible. The discomfort moves around from left to right and sometimes isn't there at all. I too have TMJ and grind, wear a night guard and as the day progresses it doesn't feel as "swollen" as in the morning. Anyone else with THESE kind of symptoms? 

I have been experienceing the same problem for for a few months now ever since I went hunting. Originally i thought it was from craning my neck looking for deer coming behind me. I've been to the the emergency room and the doc said that the tissue in my throat was inflamed and gave my some anti-biotics. Im worried that it may be cancer (im a bit of a hypocondriac sometimes) but the doc did say he didnt see anything to be concerned about. The clicking or popping is on my right side of my adams apple about half way down, is this where you people are feeling it too?

Yep, add me to the list!  Been going on for about 6 months now.  sometimes I get foods such as tortilla chips, or rice grains stuck and I simply cough a little and they'll pop out, or if I drink a bit of water it washes down.  If I place 2 fingers on the center of my adam's apple and press the click goes away, or if i turn my head either right, left, or up no click.  Only when I put my head straight ahead or down do I get a click during saliva swallow mostly.  Sometimes I get it when I swallow water if my head is lowered, but not very often at all.   don't have insurance at the moment so I am just going to ride it out.  Went to a clinic and they told me it was nothing, but I had zero confidence the doc knew what she was talking about.  I may go to ER if it gets worse as I have a family that depends on me to put food on the table and a roof over head....  Completely healthy otherwise and walk or run at least 10 to 15 miles per week.  

Can cancer cause this?

I have the same problem, clicking on one side of the Adam's apple and then moving to the other. Everyone should look at the anatomy of the hyoid bone. There is a small bone at this part of the neck where a ton of muscles attach and these are using for swallowing and also lifting up the Adam's apple for singing, talking, swallowing, etc. Likewise, all these muscles have origins on other body parts, including the skull, spine, sternum/clavicle, etc. I really believe this problem for most of us is skeletal/muscular and that certain muscles are pulling in an non-uniform pattern probably because there are other misalignments or skeletal/muscular problems in the in the skeleton. Try pulling you chin up in the air as high as possible to stretch some of those muscles and see if the clicking starts to go away, or pushing on the hyoid bone on certain muscles. IF this is the case, anyone that can work on skeletal/muscular problems is probably the best choice to solve this problem (physical therapy or chiropractor probably best). I noticed that some of the muscles get sore if this persists for a long time. What does everyone think about this approach?

I agree - laying in a different position while laying and sleeping fixed my problem that was this (knock on wood).