My brother was playing basketball the other day and after some time he felt sick. We had to take him to the hospital. The doctors told us that he was suffering from dehydration. Can someone tell me how this exactly happens?

Dehydration is a condition that occurs when a person loses more fluids than it was taken in. Dehydration is not that serious problem for teenagers as it can be for babies or young children. However, dehydration can slow you down if you ignore your thirst. Human bodies are about two thirds water and when someone gets dehydrated, it means the amount of water in the body has dropped below the normal level needed for body function. Small decreases usually do not cause problems. However, losing larger amounts of water can make a person feel quite sick. One common cause of dehydration in teens is gastrointestinal illness because when you're flattened by a stomach bug, you lose fluid through vomiting and diarrhea. The easiest way to avoid dehydration is to drink lots of fluids. This is especially helpful on hot, dry, windy days. Water is usually the best choice because drinking water does not add calories and it can be great for the health.

If dehydration was severe enough what would as a doctor do for someone for treatment. How long does it take to recover from dehydration?

A good question, guest. A very good explanation, borchert. I relearned something that I already knew, in agreater depth this time. Thanks Guys