last night was my birthday and as is the case, my friends got me pretty drunk. now today i woke up with a terrible sore throat. i have no other symptoms but my throat is in constant pain. the only time it doesn't hurt is when i drink or eat. could i have damaged my throat from the alcohol? or did all the alcohol impair my immune system and i caught some bacteria or viral stuff? i'm really worried about this because something doesn't seem right. please help, thanks.

I'm having the same issue... I had a very stressful court hearing coming my way last week and I had to travel out of state for it. I stayed with a friend of mine, who decided that I needed to have a few shots to relax. Turned out that he kept me pretty much drunk for three days. When I went in to court, my throat was killing me! I started looking things up on the internet. I looked up illnesses having to with the throat such as: Mononucleosis, Tonsillitis, the common sore throat and Strep throat. All of these have symptoms very similar to my soreness, but also have symptoms such as white spots in the throat, fever, fatigue, loss of hunger, and headaches. Of course after the stressful week I had, fatigue and aches and pains in the body are expected. But I had no fever. My tongue has also been sore. So, in conclusion, I have diagnosed myself with a sore throat and tongue due to a lot of alcohol consumption and consumption of very acidic foods. My recommendation is that you look these illnesses up, and determine your symptoms. If you don't think you have anything too serious and the symptoms you do have last more than two to three weeks, see a doctor. If you feel like you're probably ok, take some ibuprofen, drink lots of liquids and rest and relax as much as you can for a couple weeks.

:-)

alcohol was not a good friend to no one not ever. so, it was not a good friend for your throat as well. there are so many reasons for this. for example, it can be a case because alcohol acts as an irritant to a very delicate throat tissue. it also dries out the throat and it makes it more easy to develop a sore throat, that cause a dry cough. dehydration can also be caused by the alcohol and dehydration is also one of the factors that affect this. throat membranes are really delicate and on some occasions, if you are drinking too much alcohol, you might need a dry cough treatment

Yup so same thing happend to me the after my 21st b-day i was worried cuz my throat hurt like hell but i didnt have any symptoms of being sick. but i asked so people and they said that happens sometimes when you drink to much. it went away after about a day

>:( I also have had the same symptoms I also went out and played my sports the next day after having drank with the painful throat. It totally made it worse sooner than later I has noodles stuck in my toncels and I had a fever. I went to the doctors and was rushed to the e.r. Not for the stuck noodles for the fact that I had a serious case of toncelitus I was dehydrated they stuck I.v's in me and starved me for 3 days gave me a Cat scan and had to drain my toncels. And then sent me home to rest with meds. It was a painful experience. I have had this 2 times. Go see a doc if it really hurts. My parents at the time thought I was being a drama queen. Better safe then sorry. If no doc you can see a clinic or just rest no cold stuff gargle with warm salt water. You need an antibiotic to take a way the infection if worsen. If all less fails just get plenty of rest with lots of fluids. Hope I helped!

Ok newbie 21 year-olds. Let me give you a little wisdom from the 23 year old. Alcohol dehydrates you. When you go binge drinking... you become very dehydrated. Make it a routine to kill as much water as you can when you get home after a night of serious drinking. Not only will you not have a hangover, but your throat will feel much better. I think not only are you dehydrated, but drunk people tend to sleep on their back which would lead to massive snoring. So in recap... sleep on you side.... drink as much water as you can stand. If you throat hurts for more than a day... I'm wrong and you might want to seek someone with a Dr. in front of their name.

Have fun partying :-).

Will

hey guys m 22 n i'v been smokin 4 the past 5year ........3-4 fags a day on an average ......going upto 10-15 a day when with friends r partyin'...(once r twice a month..)
i recently started drinking.....n evry time i drink,(usually whiskey with beer)...i end up having a sore throat....and "excessive" coughing....+fever(lasting a week)....n i have taken many medicines....cough syrups...antibiotic....but da coughing last for a month......leaving..an unbearable pain..........
in da past 5 years i hv tried quitting(smokin).....but only mange a one r two month ......and then back 2 wr i started.... .
.
.............i l'd like 2 mention dat i dont face any problem...when i smoke.....its only when i drink n smoke iz when da coughing & fever appears :'( help plzzzzzzz

i went friday to monday drinking with my friends and i ended up pissed up proper and felt through up n then had somet eat eva since ive suffered from a dry tongue n mouth use to get it a lot i decided to go out to pub then id wake up 100% fine day after :-) but if it stays go dr. with it

THIS is absoluty true! The beer and wine being made today does not taste the same as it did "lets say,in the last the last 25 yrs...
they are rushing the product and using inexpensive chemicalized grains and its all crud . its causing sore throats, heavy coughing,with mucus,sometimes coughing even sounds like a smokers cough..............its really too bad when you do experience that... no mater what the ad says about thier company being around 100yrs.
the crud thats coming out of production in the bottle is enough to make you sick...Not to mention the dirty crud in the bartenders keg line.....be responsable and understand this might be permenant every time you have a drink,,,...otherwise its just my opinion,,,,,!!! see ya.....and take it easy out there......

i'm 41 years old and i have to agree with WILL. heavy drinking causes your body to dehydrate. this means you need to drink more water. i also like to suck on ice cubes. also,if your gonna drink whiskey straight from the shot glass try using apple juice as a chaser (not orange juice).whiskey dries out your body and acidic foods and drinks make it worse. when you drink apple juice it puts some of the water back in your system. then,after your done partying,drink plenty of water to replenish your body.

I got drunk on sunday and starting tuesday to now i've been having this massive sore throat could this be related somehow

You have a hangover. Alcohol dehydrates you causing a sore throat and headache, it also can make you hot or give you cold sweats, like a fever. It interferes with sleep causing fatigue and aches and pains, which can last a few days in some cases. Drink lots of water and take some ibuprofen.

Guest wrote:

.

well it sounds like you are from europe and cistic fibrosis is common there 1 in every 2600 I think, causes mucus in your lungs, ask you parents about any family illness history there are allot of hereditary things out there, diseases lower your imune system causing colds to be more common and your body to take more time to fight them. No one on here is able to give you legit advice as because only a doctor can diagnose someone in person with a medical license so try that rout, if you dont have insurance there are free clinics if you dont mind a line and allot of paperwork.

Guest wrote:

Have fun partying :-).

Will

awsome post, im an alcoholic and i needed this sh*t dude

Yes, it's true alcohol dehydrates you worse than anything else drink-wise however I would not say that is the cause of your symptoms. I too have had these symptoms and I'm pretty sure I drink a whole lot more than you guys. That being said, I believe you are suffering nothing more than a hangover and here's why I think that...Binge drinking impairs your body's ability to run your Kreb's Cycle (Citrate Acid Cycle) thus causing fatigue, muscle cramps, aches and pains, a sore throat (dehydration) and just a generalized sick feeling. That is a hagover. And what is the main ingredient in the Kerb's Cycle >>> WATER. To avoid a hangover (works about 75% of the time) simply drink lots and lots of water after you have completed your drinking for the night. I think there is also a little truth in getting in the shower will help sober you up as the water is absorbed through your skin and rehydrates your skin cells, making your skin look not so malnourished. The next morning, you will wake up with a not-so-great feeling in your stomach and probably all over but for the most  part, your hangover will be a lot easier to deal with when you're hydrated. ***Also, do not play any sports when you have a hangover. I don't care how strong and cool and tough you think you are, take it from a Biology major, the lack of magnesium (which you depleted when you drank) in your muscles will cause unGodly cramping and you will probably want to cry. These are my thoughts! Have fun partying!