A friend of mine, who is diabetic, was recently told her fetus suffers from Anencephaly. I was wondering whether this means she is going to have to abort the pregnancy? I really wish she would have a healthy baby, but apparently there is pretty much no hope for this baby.

Hi. How far along is your friend and is it her first baby?

Anencephaly is one of the most common neural tube defects. Neural tube defects are birth defects that affect the tissue that grows into the spinal cord and brain. My first son unfortunately had this problem but it wasnt diagnosed until i was 23 weeks pregnant.

In my son- sean's case this meant the absence of the brain (cerebral hemispheres and cerebellum)We was told that this condition usually causes death within a few days of being born, with no ability to recognise anyone . . they basically said if he survived for any amount of time he would be a vegetable and we would not be able to stop his suffering once he was born. We were given the option to continue the pregnancy or have a termination on health grounds.

It was the hardest decission of mine n my partners life, but we chose to end the pregnancy as we couldnt bear the thought of him suffering. As i was then 24 weeks i had to deliver him naturally, he was absolutely beautiful. we got to hold him for hours and at 24 weeks he didnt look deformed like he would have looked if we had had him at full term.your friends DOESNT have to end the pregnancy, but im sorry to say there is no good ending to this. I chose to end it at 24weeks than carry him to full term knowing he would die afterwards.

This will be a very hard decission for your friend, but id like to add that there is light at the end of the tunel, i went on to have 2 healthy babies afterwards, i have sophie 19 months, leon 9 months old and we are also now expecting our third baby in october. your friend will need a lot of support and if i can help in any way, with any questions please dont hesitate to ask.

im so sorry your friend has to go through what i went through.

xx