Hi all. My 13 year old daughter was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of nine. She takes dex for her condition and I feel this keeps her under control. But, now it now looks like my nine year old son may have it too. He lacks concentration, is a poor reader and writer and finds it hard to stay focuse. He’s recently been put on meds for migraines but this behavior has not changed. My worry is the long term effects of these meds. What are the long term effects??? Does anyone have a clue? Please help. Thanks.

Well, most experts agree that ADHD medications are safe and effective when they are used under a psychiatrist's or other doctor's care. But, some stimulants (like Ritalin) can cause some serious health problems if they're abused - when they're taken by someone who doesn't need them or when they're taken at a higher dose or more often than a doctor has recommended. The long term side effects of stimulant-type ADHD medications include increased heart rate and blood pressure, tremors, changes in mood, confusion, paranoia, hallucinations, delusions and irregular breathing but they all are extremely rare. Hope this answers your question.

hello my 7 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD in november last year. his paediatritian put him on dexamphetamines straight away. although my son has none of the characteristics of a child with ADHD. he is quiet, non abusive and is not violent. he seems to be quite slow. and doesn't comprehend anything. he also doesn't treasure anything. if he is naughty we take his toys away until he can prove he deserves them. but this doesn't fase him. he just looks spaced out. and this is when he's not on the dexamphetamines. he was born at 23 weeks and 3 days. we are thinking that that might be a factor for his strange behaviour. my husband and i can't understand why he was put on these drugs when he doesn't even look to have ADHD. my husband wants to take him of the drugs. we would like to know whether it is safe to take him off of them with out the doctors say so. the doctor still believes he has ADHD. another reason we want to take him off them is when he was born he had heart surgery, and still has a heart condition. we are worried that the drugs might harm him. please help. :-(

I am a drug-enthusiast,I research and experiment with drugs as a hobby,thats right im a no good stinkin rotten criminal stoner druggo.
In reply to the worried mother,your son is most probably looking spaced out
because he is more sensitive to dex than the majority of kids,Dexamphetamines can cause anxiety,poor concentration,depersonalization,derealisation and hallucinations,all of which may lead to one seeming "spaced-out",if your child is more prone to mental illnessess such as depression or anxiety,these effect could be more pronounced.

Also the reason why he would seem spaced out while he was not on dexamphetamines is because these symptoms normally occur during the drugs later stages,in the "come-down".

It would be a healthier choice to stop giving your child dexamphetamines ,It is in no way dangerous stopping these drugs at any time,however
these drugs do have an addictive quality so your child may find it hard to quit.
Remember,dexamphetamines is just legal speed,Its pure amphetamines,Its not dangerous to stop taking speed,its dangerous to continue use,Your doctor just wants his paycheck.

Dexamphetamines can also cause rapid or irregular heartbeat.

I personally have had every single one of the side effects i mentioned above when experimenting with dexamphetamines,each time it took me weeks to return to my normal sef again without having the feelings of paranoia,crazyness or feelings of living on a strange unknown planet.

bye bye

"if the doors of perception were cleansed,everything would appear as it is,infinite" aldeous huxley

Hi???? Just thought i'd let you know i had ADHD by the time i was 10 and now im 24, and have been on meds all that time and now im going to uni (studying law) so seriously its the best thing you can do for your kids & never believe any different by want people say or think!!!!!!!!!!! xoxoxo :D

Just be careful, please do not abuse them. I did and it has affected my working memory and my comprehension.

i have been on dex 4 about 9 years now, i shoukld be off it by now but am dependent on it. i suggest u find other options for ur dautgher because dex is very addictive and dumbs u down something cronic. i have to admit tho it was very helpful

i hav been on dex for the past 2 years for adhd and im concerned about longterm health risks (mental and physical). for as long as i can remember, my blood pressure has always been a bit under whats considered normal, but at my last check up it was high. Im wondering if it could be the dex? does anyone know?

I am almost 50 years old and I have ADHD and bi polar disorder. I started taking adderal about five years ago in 20 mg time released capsules - my  medical doctor who had cared for me for six years thought adding adderal was a good idea my pysch doctor thought it was a teruldrs were talking to me. I could actually listen to what was being said to me and was not getting distracted and this enabled me to respond and participate in conversations for maybe the first time ever in my life.  within three months of taking adderall I read a book the whole book this was another first for me I was able to read and comprehend and follow the story instead of reading a sentence and thinking if i had any salad at home reading the nextn sentence and what would i fix for supper came to mind read the third sentence and drifted to where did i hang my new blouse- at this point i have no clue what i have just read -the entire first three pages are similar I still do not know what i'm reading so i stop not anymore i can read and get in to the story line and characters and my time gets lost as i read page after page and can't wait to read what they will do next  once drifting off about anything else in my brain as time went on I organized my house and have a tape bucket where you will find my scotch, two sided,electrical, masking, etc my sissors are all in the same drawer along with sewing needles and thread and iron on hemming. I have been able to put up a Christmas tree and decorate it along with decorating the walls and putting a christmas wreath on my door once again having the table set with my beautiful chrismas china and centerpiece i have made dozens of homemade cookies fudge instant hot chocolate mixes and hot tea mixes plus have sent out Chirstmas cards for the last three years and just could not manage to get any of these things done for 11 years before taking the adderall- I buy inexpensive but thoughtful gifts for my family and even pick out wraping.paper that is festive fun and color coordinated . This year i added making Quiche from stratch for Christmas breakfast. With the adderal in my system if my brain thinks :the clothes in the dryer are ready I get up and immediately go and get them and fold them then put them away before the adderal if i thought the clothes are ready and a bit later i get up i head off then i am standing in the kitchen and looking around wondering what i came to get so i go back in the living room and wonder why i left and what for -i would catch the tv out of the corner of my eye and quickly sit and get enveloped in it - when i got back to those clothes that were ready it might be several days or so,  I now keep up with my aappointments take extra time in my morninag to apply makeup which is a boost that makes me feel better and lifts my mood and i no longer just stare into the box of makeup unsure what would really match never making up my mind on the shadow. I am accomplishing 10 times more things a day than before i took adderal- i am finally completeing task and take them all the way to finished.  This one drug has changed my life more than any other i have ever taken -it has given me quality and quanity of life it has allowed me to be able to fuction more normally and allowed me to be happy that i can get things done and acompish things again and get dressed everyday and carry on converastions with people- I have my life back - i do not have to sit on my couch all day anymore never focused enough to make that doctors appt as i would forget it before i could find the phone book, I have things but in their place now, and can find thingsj i can read books and have even taken the amtrack train to Chicago (9 hours) 6 times since being on adderal and managed to pack correctly and make list and to find my destionation upon arriving and follos w direction and find them too and not be afraid or unsure and just believe i couldn't do it like i did just 9 short years ago. I am so very greatful and thankful that i am participating in life nowr ADD or ADHD and want to pay attention, finsh what you start, read a book, follow instructions, have a train of thought process that leads to things like redecoration a room and it actually not just get talked about but started and finished and leave you proud. Adderall has chagned my life and has given me a life. i also have started taking prozac again for bi polar with in the last two months- these two drugs seem to complient each other and I'm having all the  stuff get done with adderall and am happy and postitve and the ocd seems to just keep fading on away

I've been taking high doses of dexamphetamine every day since I was 10 years old, I'm 27 this year. From the age of 15 until about two years ago, I also smoked cannabis every day. I have since quit smoking, but not due to any health reasons. If there were any major mental side effects to taking dex regularly for extended periods of time, I would have experienced something by now. Especially considering my years of marijuana abuse combined with constant dex use. I have never experienced any feelings of paranoia, anxiety or any of the other commonly reported mental side effects. I do have constant sleep issues, but always have, which is why I smoked marijuana for so long. The only physical side effect I can report from long term use is low blood pressure. If I stand up and stretch after periods of sitting, I can occasionally experience serious vertigo, and sometimes, come close to passing out. I've only ever actually dropped once, but since then, I'm more careful, I know what situations can produce this effect, and simply take caution.

I have an incredibly well paying job, I always did well at school (when I was there) and have returned to study at university this year part time.

People who don't have ADHD do not quite understand. If I wasn't medicated, my condition would have severly hindered my professional progress, as i would not be able to focus on anything for the required amount of time.

ADHD is extremely overdiagnosed in todays society, so be careful when putting your kids on medication. If they are genuine cases of ADHD though, medication can be a blessing to both you and them. Find a good doctor, make sure the diagnosis is right. If it is, don't be too concerned about the meds. 

One has to remember

UH... one has to remember to finish their post before accidentally hitting the reply button apparently :D (Must be my adhd impulsivity!)

Sorry about that... One has to remember, I was going to say that ADHD is a "symptom set" -- It is not an illness, there is no medical biological basis for the diagnosis other than patient/client responses to questionaires that pinpoint symptoms of hyperactrivity, impulsivity, and distractability.... there is or might be several reasons why these symptoms behaviors might be presenting in a person, how we're wired to begin with likely has a part, no doubt our environment plays a part as we live in a world that tempts these symptoms not doubt.... Is there any doubt that the american way of life in the 21st century is part of what might make a person easily distracted, impulsive etc. -- There should be no doubt this plays a part as well.... And comorbid diagnoses (other symptom sets or biological disorders also play a partt... (a symptom set such as adhd no doubt can be ingrained in ones personality to the extent that it causes dysfunction (in relating to our modern world and expectations as we're expected to or feel the need to) and indeed the brain is affected by the patterns we grow into through our behaviors, responses, feelings etc. as well... so in this sense, yes it has a physical component... but remember that those that experience an emotional trauma (through no injury to the brain) do as well have changes to the brain over time as their brain chemistry changes. this has been shown through brain scans. One really needs to keep these things in perspective though because thinking that ADHD/ADD is an illness and that stimulant medications are the cure can become far too dependent on medication and can develop side effects and the inability tunderstand what is really going on or miss other issues that are present comorbid..... Just some thoughts to consider when using the meds and and addressing the "disorder (Those who have ADHD personalities by the way tend to be wonderfully creative, spontaneous peopole that can accomplish much when they are excited and absorbed...they can be inspirational and think out of the box.... the can be capable of great passion and be those that think for themselves indeed.... Maybe we're just bored with all the routine narrow mindedness and our feelers for other ways of doing things can run away with us at times (hence the distractability, impulsivity etc.) Althought he adults I know that ight have been hyperactive as children aren't really now... they are in a sense in that they will be the ones will HYPERFOCUS have as a stay withit attitude that others don't when they are absorbed or moved to accomplish something..... I've seen more adhders pull all nighters to work on a project that the normal Type A personality afterall ... perhaps that's because we're the ones who have procrastinated the longest! Thanks for reading if you got this far! (not because of your add but because of mine likely!)

Your doctor probably diagnosed your son with ADHD-PI (PI stands for Predominantly Inattentive), which is the non-hyperactive version of ADHD.

Mate, I went on dex at 13, went to law school at 23, practised for a couple of years and started feeling signs of anxiety and depression that were detrimental to my work. Now I'm 31, I quit my job 18 months ago and have been wondering what to do since: I have a fear of going back into the profession because I feel I need the dex to do the job, but I am paranoid as anything about it triggering a nervous breakdown or something. In this time I have decreased my dose to 0.5 tabs. My coping skills are not good, and I feel it's linked to ANXIETY and DEPRESSION more than concentration. I now feel I have to consider a career change. Be VERY careful placing your child on these drugs. It is a vexed question about whether to do it or not. My advice to a person taking these is to take breaks from the meds (although you'll feel like c**p at first then normal after two weeks) and slowly decrease your dose when you feel it. A relative of mine ended up taking 13 a day and wound up in a mental hospital with delusions.

Mate, I went on dex at 13, went to law school at 23, practised for a couple of years and started feeling signs of anxiety and depression that were detrimental to my work. Now I'm 31, I quit my job 18 months ago and have been wondering what to do since: I have a fear of going back into the profession because I feel I need the dex to do the job, but I am paranoid as anything about it triggering a nervous breakdown or something. In this time I have decreased my dose to 0.5 tabs. My coping skills are not good, and I feel it's linked to ANXIETY and DEPRESSION more than concentration.

I now feel I have to consider a career change.

Be VERY careful placing your child on these drugs. It is a vexed question about whether to do it or not. My advice to a person taking these is to take breaks from the meds (although you'll feel like c**p at first then normal after two weeks) and slowly decrease your dose when you feel it. A relative of mine ended up taking 13 a day and wound up in a mental hospital with delusions.