I'm a 16 year old guy, pretty skinny for my height,  and for the last two years or so I've been using marijuana almost daily and haven't had any sort of problems regarding my health. There have also been numerous times where I have taken Concerta or "alza"(adhd meds un prescribed) with marijuana and have had even better highs. However, about three weeks ago i took an Alza 54 and smoked a little bit of pot and it all went downhill from there. I was having excessive heart palpitations, I felt like my whole body was going numb, couldn't sit still, and I had instances of tingling in my extremities. This lasted for over 2 hours until I finally fell asleep. The next day my mom noticed my heart as it looked like it was beating out of my chest and took me to the er. The doctors said that the reaction between the marijuana and the concerta was the cause of these symptoms and said that I'll be fine in a week or two. That was not the case.

Since this incident I haven't been myself. If I try to smoke marijuana like usual, it just isn't the same. I'll get the same heart palpitations and I'll almost be freaking out like I've never done anything like this before. I'm just confused because the doc said that concerta only stays in your system for a couple days, but three weeks later I still don't feel right especially when I smoke! I know that I am young and most people's initial response to this would be "oh your 16, you shouldn't be smoking in the first place" which may be true, but you have to consider that I have been smoking for over two years with NO issues, and since this one incident I feel like I almost won't be able to do this again. To me that isn't fair, because many teens grow up smoking weed on occasions and enjoying being a kid while they can, and I don't want that to stop seeing that I only have a couple years until I go to college. 

Also, I feel like my hands and arms are more vascular than normal, my chest feels like its tight around me and that I can feel my heart against my clothing, even if it isn't touching it. I just feel like in general my body  looks different and feels different since this incident. I'm an athlete as well, and for the past two years I've done pretty good in basketball and baseball with no problems even while smoking weed in my spare time, but since taking the concerta I don't have the same physical stamina and I get tired very easily. My mom and many doctors say that I'm just anxious or stressed, or I'm just over analyzing everything, but I just don't see how that can be the case . Even though it would be nice, my wish isn't to be able to smoke pot again with no worries, I just want to know what is wrong with me so I can live my life as a teenager like I used to(being active, having fun with no fear of anything, no worries). 

The doctors also took an ekg of my heart and said everything was normal and that I have an athletes heart, but my palpitations and feelings of my heart being close to my chest haven't changed. I'll also get occasional chest pain, and occasional feelings of tingling in my chest and on my arms and legs. I've never done anything like this (posting my issues on a website) but I'm just hoping someone can relate or help me out in any way. If anyone has any answers or comments, please feel free to do so as I'm almost at the point of feeling desperate, Lol. 

Thanks,

Tom

I won't lecture you on how stupid you were to take max dosage concerts which is a stimulant and then smoke weed which carries the opposite effect. There is a chance you may have scrambled something in your nervous chemistry that just can't be tested. My advice would be to stop smoking pot, stop with the prescription drugs.... Stop with the drugs period. You pushed your luck now take responsibility for your reckless decision. If you get worse ask to be checked for dysrhythmia or an enlarged heart. A one time EKG doesn't mean you don't have a murmur. Sometimes doctors don't listen that well so if you don't like what your doc says choose another one. Just because they went to med school doesnt mean they are good docs. I wish you the best but please stay away from prescription drugs... They are very dangerous and can seriously hurt you.

Wow, i relate to this so much, im 16 also and a pothead, i too started smoking at 14. Although i wouldnt say i smoke everyday and since ive started there have been a few occasions were i stop for a bit (caught by my parents). And last year (freshman) the doctor figured out i have ADHD, and was prescibed vyvanse. And my life didnt change, i was still smoking, i was playing soccer, i was social, enjoyed school, and was now taking vyvanse. And everything seemed fine to me, and it helped with my grades for a little, and apparently at night i became very irrateable and unpleasant. So they took me off it, and begining sophmore year, started with 36mg Concerta. I must say since then my life has changed, and not for the better. Ive lost weight, ive had anxiety problems, my self esteems gone down, in school i feel awkward and unsecure. And ive told my parents but they say it helps with my grades. I honestly hate Concerta. And i still smoke but i dont feel any difference in that area lol. But i just hate it and rather take nothing theb Concerta, any advice...

Hey, I'm 16, skinny and have been smoking pretty frequently since last year (sophomore year). I began taking Concerta 36mg last year for my ADD aswell but I knew that getting high felt different. It was weird, sometimes uncomfortable. From Concerta alone, I get anxious, paranoid and feel my heart beating hard. Over this past year I have had 2 occasions of fainting and one full on seizure. Just 2 days ago I was smoking a blunt of AZ with my brother and began to feel slumped. I told him, so he said to get up so I can walk it off. It was then that I began to lose sight. Things were fading into blackness as I lost all feelings and balance. I could hear my brother saying to calm down and stop acting crazy. That I looked like I was drunk. I fell without feeling a thing until my brother helped me up. I am considering stopping taking concerta for when I smoke but I would really rather take a different pill for school. I just want some advice...

I have had issues with this recently as well. I'm seventeen and have experimented with many drugs. I don't smoke all that often but this particular time I did, it was the first time I did it on concerta (prescribed). My trip was incredibly intense, even though I had only vaped .5 of g. I have done salvia and DMT and this trip was on par with both. Except that it lasted three hours. I know the weed wasn't laced because i had smoked the same nug the week before. I was extremely scared because I was traveling through my childhood and things I had totally forgotten about suddenly became vividly clear in my mind. Not necessarily a bad trip. I just wasn't expecting such things.

Are you still feeling it because I have the same thing going on

That sounds like a successful night to me lol, you guys just need to stop thinking so much about what could happen which is what these sites put in your mind, just don't take more than prescribed and smoke as much weed as you want in the process. Don't be ignorant and confide in other peoples worries

(just don't be stupid and take more than prescribed) on another note (just enjoy as much weed as you want in the process)

okay, you're fine man! I smoke weed once in a while and take concerta (methylphenidate) daily. The thing is I actually have ADHD, I take alza 54! Right now I'm going to tell you this!! you're just freaked out about you're bad trip, nothing is wrong ! If you could get a doctor to prescribe you clonazepam (for anxiety) for around 5 days that would be great! It will calm you down ! yesterday I smoked weed and got sort of a bad trip cause I still had the concerta in my body! If you keep thinking about you're bad trip you would be likely to suffer from depersonalization ! Weed doesn't go along with stimulants such as concerta at least for me! in other words: you're fine, just avoid overthinking it which will cause you severe anxiety and that would lead to depersonalizations, I know this from experience bro! Let go of weed for at least two weeks till you get over this ! then when you think you're ready continue to smoke but remember you won't ever die from weed it's all in the mind. I went thru all this and I'm 16 bro !

Y’all seem to be pretty concerned about your physical and mental well-being; I applaud you for that. But are you aware of the many scientific studies done on the teenage brain and marijuana? Your teenage years are a critical period of ongoing brain development; your brain is still under construction! Not just one but many studies have been done that show neuropsychological decline across domains of functioning, i.e., verbal memory, declines in IQ (up to 8 points), executive functioning, decision making, and attention, to name a few. Yes, you could be adding to your ADHD problems. Your concerns about the Concerta are valid but this is the elephant in the room. Take it from someone who is living with those consequences…
Your quote..."Even though it would be nice, my wish isn't to be able to smoke pot again with no worries, I just want to know what is wrong with me so I can live my life as a teenager like I used to(being active, having fun with no fear of anything, no worries)”
If you’re really serious about that statement…check it out for yourself, just google: “teenage / adolescent brain and marijuana.” Lighten up bro; give your brain a chance! At least wait until you’re in your 20’s…..be well…

I promise you I'm not a mother or someone who should even care, but I smoke weed too, and no 16 year old should smoke marijuana. Before your brain is done developing, marijuana can have extremely negative affects on your overall brain development. And you probably wont see these affects until later in your life but We need smart peoplein this world. Wait a couple years man. Nothing to do with your probably also undeer developing vascular and respiratory system. Which is also defnitely due to your smoking pot.

I take 54 grams of concerta a day because I have really severe ADD (I'm a skinny 16 year old girl) I don't smoke weed enough to have any real tolerance but I find that when I smoke on weekdays and I've taken my medicine I get a really weird high and everything is sort of pulsating and twirling like it's hard to walk/ stand up straight. But when I smoke on the weekends and it's a day I haven't taken my medicine I hardly get high idk that's just my experience

I just did this around 5 whats gonna happen?!?! im 15!

You probably just had a bad trip, enhanced by the meds who also may cause palpitations. And the reason why you keep having these problem is maybe that you started to fear them. Being afraid it happens again makes it more likely to do so.

I came accross this post and feel as though I should chime in.  I am 29 and have been taking Concerta 54mg for the past 11 years.  I found out my senior year in high school.  I have been smoking regularly since I was 14.  I can tell you that, aside from holding out for a drug test at a new jobs, I have been a daily smoker for the past 7 years or so and have never had any issues.  I wake up in the morning, take my pill, shower, smoke a bowl, and head into work.  The only time, aside from first few weeks of starting meds(initially 35mg), I have ever had an issue with mental/physical instability is when i forget to take it 1 or 2 days in a row and get jitters when i take it next.  I am married with 2 kids and owe my success in life to Concerta.  I think that it's safe to say that if you're having crazy experiences when smoking on concerta then i would bet you have been wrongfully diagnosed.  Medication for ADHD resolves a chemical imbalance and has a result similar to cocaine if this balance does not exist.  It is dangerous to play around with uppers and downers so I highly advise you to take the medication for a long time(6 months) before adding any more variables.  If you can't wrap your head around the high and talk yourself down then you have no business injesting any drugs at all.