Hello. I am a single mother that have a 11 years old son and I think he is suffering from Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). I am about to take him to the doctor, and I know that the usual treatment for this disorder is medication called Ritalin. I know that Ritalin, as any other drug has side effects. So I would like to know Ritalin effects on young people.

It is quite effective for ADHD treatment. The patients who take it usually experience high ability to concentrate, and they behave better. Bad thing is that it is addictive, and is sometime misused. It is classed class B for drug potency, which puts it shoulder by shoulder with ecstasy, and other similar drugs. It should be used only if it was necessary.

When you pick up the prescription, it will come with a drug information flyer. This will explain the side-effects, cautions and directions for use. Your doctor should also go over these before he even writes out the prescription.

It is important to follow all the instructions and obey the cautions. A lot of adverse reactions people report are not really side-effects but reactions to things they were probably told to avoid but they ignored the warnings or didn't follow the instructions.

Ritalin and other attention deficit drugs can make kids less playful and more serious. It also GREATLY reduces appetite which can cause stunted growth and weight loss. Sometimes it makes it harder to fall asleep, and less sleep makes it easier to get sick. I've found in my own experience that attention deficit drugs make me freeze up when speaking in front of groups of people, but that may have just been a coincidence 8-|

The great thing about Ritalin is that it allows your child's natural intelligence to shine through by minimizing distraction. If he has less-than-perfect grades, over time he'll see how well he's doing in school and gain confidence in his intelligence that will last a lifetime.

Ritalin is very effective, but if you do medicate your child, only do it on the weekdays or when there's a lot of work to get done on the weekends. This way he'll remember what it feels like not to be medicated, and he'll be able to eat more, so his growth won't be as stunted in the long run. Ideally, you don't want him to be dependent on the drug; you just want him to pay more attention so he can focus at school and develop good study habits.

Also, beware that stimulants like Ritalin and other attention deficit drugs can become addictive. Some kids really like the way that Ritalin makes them feel and they save up large quantities of it to take bigger-than-normal doses, and sometimes they crush it and snort it as a dust. Don't ever let your child abuse Ritalin or share it with his friends.