Hi. I suffer from ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) for almost seven years now and I have controlled it well.
I used Concerta for all this years and it helped me a lot to suppress all sidefects. However, lately, I have slowly found myself needing to increase the dose.
I’m afraid of it because I red somewhere that, in big doses, this medication can be toxic. A friend of mine who also suffer from ADHD is using some dexampheatamine-based drug. Did anyone have similar problems? Please help!

Hello. My wife had same symptoms like you and I was doing some research on that subject by my self. Physicians usually prescribe one of three drugs: methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta), dexamphetamine (Dexedrine or DextroStat), and pemoline (Cylert). They all seem to be doing a same thing and that is - altering levels of neurotransmitters, brain chemicals that transmit nerve signals. Which of these will person use vary from person to person because to different people same drug don’t have same effect. You used Concerta for a long time and your body becomes immune on it but you can’t just start with another drug by your self! Instead of that try using Adderall, as my wife did, which is combination of dexamphetamine and methylphenidate. My wife’s body reacted very well and her problems with overdosing were solved.

Speaking from personal experience....DO NOT TAKE ADDERALL!!! Might as well be using Crystal Meth"amphetamine". Adderall is the most addictive substance I have ever put into my body.

As previously stated:
"My wife’s body reacted very well and her problems with overdosing were solved. "

Just wait......it only takes a few years before she too WILL be overtaking Adderall, its VERY VERY addictive.

Hate to say it, but Adderall has been the love of my life for 11 years now. Prior to adderall I was homecoming queen, happy, healthy, and the hottest girl on campus...normal.

Now 31, single, chain smoker, paranoid, depressed, never leave the house, no friends, no boyfriends...no life: Addicted

I suffer from ADD (inattentive type) and have been taking adderall safely for over 5 years. If you feel you need to take more, it is possible that you are building a tolerance to the medication. This is a major complication with taking any controlled substance. The problem is, sometimes one may feel the urge to take another. Like if there is a test today, or some big presentation maybe an extra on is alright. This couldn't be farther from the truth.

When taking the medication as prescribed, if it worked at one point, but is not as much anymore, talk to your doctor. It might be a simple case of raising the per dose amount. There are also many different types of 'stimulants' that are now marketed for the treatment of ADD and its spectrum disorders like Ritalin, Concerta, Dexedrine, Strattera and so on...

Tolerance is developed rapidly in amphetamine abuse, therefore increasing the amount of the drug that is needed to satisfy the addiction. Repeated amphetamine use can produce "reverse tolerance", or sensitization to some psychological effects. Many abusers will repeat the amphetamine cycle by taking more of the drug during the withdrawal. This leads to a very dangerous cycle and may involve the use of other drugs to get over the withdrawal process. The key is noticing the entry point into that vicious cycle. Ask yourself:
1) Am I taking the medication exactly as I should be?
2) If not, when do I take more? When do I take less?
3) What are the bad effects,if any? When did they happen relative to doses?
4) Try to note the effectiveness of the medication at various times. (it could be possible that you require more in the morning than in the later day (I myself am prescribed two tabs in the am and on in the afternoon)
*Note - Share this with your doc. If they don't want to up the dosage or try another medication, ask their a rationale for their treatment? Make it clear that things were ok, but now I am not getting the same beneficial effects as before. If your doctor is not willing to work with you, find another psych.

There are many concerns surrounding amphetamine use, but it does immeasurably more good than harm when used appropriately.

"try using Adderall, as my wife did, which is combination of dexamphetamine and methylphenidate."

Not being picky, but there is no methelphenidate in Adderal. It is a combination of different forms of amphetamine. Also, isn't the correct chemical name, "dexTROamphetamine", not dexamphetamine??

I have been using dexamphetamine (yes this is correct, it is the generic name) for 16 years. Since I was about 10, and although it sounds silly, I owe my life to this medication. I would not have passed school or university or be in a job that I never thought I was "smart" enough to do. At no stage have I ever been addicted. Knowing how your body reacts to this medication is the key, such as knowing how long a dose lasts in your system. It is also adjusting your dose for what you have to do that day, this may include not even taking it at all. I have recently increased my dose to account for longer working hours, I just make sure I take them at an appropriate time (usually nothing after 4pm).

Anyway I see so many negative stories on this topic and this medication, I just wanted to tell the other side.