I will be having surgery on my neck c-4-c-5 & c6-c7 and have been ijn excriciating pain. I wan t to know how bad is the surgery and length of recovery? will I have normal usage of my body afterward?

'GiGi

In spinal fusion from 50% to 90% of patients can expect good to excellent results. The complete recovery should last for 5 weeks, first week being in the hospital. You will be encouraged to walk, probably with a cane at the beginning. You will also need to attend an exercise program. This program is dependent of your surgery and your condition.
You will probably be in pain after the surgery and that is why you need to talk to your surgeon about the pain management. You may feel burning or numbness and tingling feeling at your bone graft site. Walking is good for this as well as applying ice or warm, moist compresses. You may have pain killers by your side.

You will have to forget about heavy work out for months after the surgery but all of the instruction you will get from your surgeon or a nurse as well.

I was first diagnost with degenerative disc desease at 35 yrs old. The C-5 disc was dicipated, meaning it was about gone. I had to immediatly have surgery(within 4 days). They removed what was left of the disc, and replaced it with a doner bone. They could not use a fusion plate, because my vertabras in my neck were too thin. Within a year and a half later I was diagnost with a herniated disc on L-5 (lower back). They started physical therapy, that made it worse. So, surgery was immediate again.
I'm now 41 yrs old. I have found that the best treatment for this disease is excercise! excercise! excercise! I have had no pain. The university of nuerosurgens told me I would never be able to do a sit down job or standing job, EVER! I now walk behind a mower (self propelled) 3-6 miles a day. I believe moving and eating right is the key. I have very little to no pain. I make sure that keep my muscles in my back as stron as possible. That gives my spine and my vertabras alot of support. Making sure they have little to no strain.

HI can you please give me the name of the hospital from where u got the surgery done.