Hi I have started to cough several days before. I thought it will pass in the next few days but things became worse. Now I am coughing and bringing up mucus from my lungs and I also get temperature which is not high. It lasts for several days already and I would have to see my doctor. I am also smoker so I would like to know what may I expect when i go to visit my doctor.

As you are probably already suffering from bronchitis the other thing which may develop to the people who are smokers is emphysema. Emphysema and bronchitis belong to the same group of obstructive lung disease but difference is that bronchitis is pointing air tubes in lungs while emphysema destroys alveoli little sacks where lungs make exchange of gasses and take oxygen for our body. When these sacks are damaged gas exchange is low and whole body experiences lack of oxygen. With all these also come coughing, mucus and fever.