I have a really weird question here, and I guess this is were it should go... is it possible for someone with diabetes to go into a catatonic state (not a coma) with a fairly normal level of blood sugar? I really want to find out as soon as possible, so if anyone has any answers or thoughts, please let me know.

Thank you ^_^

Celebrity
Catatonia is primarily a symptom of some mental disorders such as schizophrenia, PTSD, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, bipolar disorder etc. Also it is known that drug addicts could get into a catatonic state, this is actually the context in which I heard about catatonia for the first time. The catatonic patients could freeze themselves in some poses without making any moves for some time, which is pretty scary for me, I must admit.
Diabetes is linked to some of the disorders listed above, particularly with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and depression, which is 2-3 times bigger in diabetics comparing to normal state. What I know is when a patient has hypercalcemia (>14 mg/dL) he could experience catatonia, as well as lethargy and psychosis. This is the only fact I could think of right now.
If we think logically, everything that is within the boarders of normality is nothing to be worried about. If the blood sugar is okay, and if the doctor says so, I think there is no need to worry. Why asking, by the way?

Ok... that makes sense now ^___^ Thank you! I was asking because my mom has diabetes and depression, and the day I posted this... I don't know if it was catatonia or not, but she wasn't responding to anything, and her blood sugar was normal. But she got better by the end of the day, so I'm not too worried ^__^

Thank you again!