Hello everyone,

I need some help. I was watching a scientific program on TV, I don't know why but they were talking a lot about depression and it got my attention because my girlfriend has a clinically diagnosed depression. Anyway, after some time while listening to the things that I already know about depression, they said that severe depression could lead to a heart disease or make it worse, if you already have it.

Does anyone know if this is true? I know that I can't change the way that my girlfriend is, but it would kill me if something like this happens to her.

Hey Alan,

I'm afraid that this is very much true. People with heart disease are actually more prone to being depressed than people who are healthy. On the other hand, severe depression can lead to heart disease as well. The only good thing to look at here is that there are way higher chances for people with heart disease to be depressed than there are chances for people with severe depression to get any sort of heart disease.

You can't really do much here, Alan. I understand how hard can it be for you, even more since she has depression, but you can't do anything.

Hey Bee,

That is both a good and a bad thing to hear. I got something on my mind now. If you say that people with heart diseases are more prone to becoming depressed, what are the odds of my girlfriend already having a heart disease; therefore, she has her depression: she got it because of her heart disease.

Does this sound crazy to you, do you think that it would be possible? I mean, she never had any problems with her heart but I was always astonished by how can she get so depressed without even having any proper reason for it.

I don't think so, Alan. Depression is a type of an illness. People who have it are just like that, depressed most of the time and they don't really need a reason to be depressed: if they don't have one, they'll find one.

To be honest, there is always a possibility to have a heart disease, but I'm not sure that it is a case with your girlfriend. You said it yourself, she is never showing any signs of heart problems, or anything. However, just like we discussed moments ago, there is still a chance that she might develop a heart disease because of her depression.

Hey guys,

This isn't something for you to worry about, Alan. If it happens, it happened; you can't do nothing about it. There is a saying suggesting that you should have the strength to change the things that you can change and to have the wisdom to accept the things that you cannot change, keep this in mind. The hardest part here is to understand which is which.

I don't think that your girlfriend has a heart disease, even with that little info that you gave us about her. And there are quite small chances that she might develop a heart disease because of her depression.

Hey there. You should know that depression and heart disease are among the most disabling diseases we face. They are both very widespread among the general population and often occur simultaneously in the same individual.

If is well known that a percentage of people with no history of depression become depressed after a heart attack or after developing heart failure. Also, a people with depression but without having some heart issues seem to develop heart disease at a higher rate than the general population. Depression is connected with several heart diseases in many ways and you should try to be less depressed and nervous.

Good day there.

There is always a connection between some chronic illness and mental health. It is true that depression can break your heart and in that case it can cause some diseases. Depression can definitely make it harder to take the medications needed and to carry out the treatment for heart disease. Depression also may result in chronically elevated levels of stress hormones. That is usually cortisol and adrenaline, and the activation of the sympathetic nervous system (part of the "fight or flight" response), which can have deleterious effects on the heart. That is why you need to be extremely careful. If you notice that you have some depression sign, contact your doctor.

Hello there. Of course that there is a connection between depression and heart diseases. Not directly, but there are some connection. Look, depression is commonly present in patients with coronary heart disease and is independently associated with increased cardiovascular morbidity and mortality. Every patient who is feeling depressed should go to the doctor and consult him about any problems that can affect his heart. So, the same thing is with depression as well. You need to find the way to cure it and as soon as you learn that there is connection between it you will know how to cure it.