A friend of mine has been dealing with a lot recently, and decided to check herself into a mental facility last month. I am really glad she did, because she has now been diagnosed with something called catatonic stupor, which renders her unable to function at all, as far as I can tell. Does anyone know how long a catatonic stupor goes on for?

In my understanding, a catatonic stupor can be either a very temporary state which is closely associated with schizophrenia. We are talking about a matter of hours here. When catatonic stupor occurs during a psychosis, it can be an ongoing state that will resolve itself only in concert with the psychosis. The can mean weeks.

I hope that your friend is going to resolve her problems by this way. If she realized that something is wrong and that she needs help it is better for her that she has signed in into psychiatric hospital. Even if she is diagnosed that doesn’t mean that she will not get better in a few weeks and that she will continue to function as a normal and healthy human being.

My friend had some issues in his head and he has resolved it by this way and now he is functioning perfectly normal and he is even trying to avoid stressful situations and this is something he never did before so I believe that your friend will come back much better and self-confident.

How can you tell if it's a catatonic stupor or a siezure?