For those of you who have run more than 2 marathons, how big of a drop did you see.

I need to drop about 30 minutes from last year to make it for my age group.

Is that to much of a drop to try and pull off in one year?

number one to number two for me was 2 minutes...I had some bad cramping in number two due to dehydration from being extremely hot.

I know people that improve by 30+ minutes from one to two--(I only wish that I did )

I got 15 minutes slower.

1st- 432
2nd 448

2nd one I had pneumonia and a fever the day of the race....It was a run for charity and I had a lot of local publicity following me, because it was a benefit run for a police officer friend of mines son....I was determined only to finish.

3rd marathon 428

4th 423

5th 4 55-ran into a 20 mile an hour head wind for 15 of 26 miles

My first marathon was a 3:15. 5 minutes shy of qualifying for Boston.

I went into Chicago a year later with the goal of dropping 5 minutes. Instead I dropped 17! I had spent most of the summer training specifically for Chicago. I was putting in a lot of miles per week (I can't remember how many). I was riding the bike for cross training. I was doing speed work once a week. I also knew my body better for Chicago (the year before I went out WAY too hard and crashed at mile 19).

I say that to give a little background in my opinion. Dropping 30 minutes would be difficult, but is possible. Would it be possible to do between now and December? Probably. Definitly get your race strategy worked out a few days before hand so you can get it set in your mind for race day. Force any negitive thoughts out and focus on positive thoughts. It is amazing what those thoughts will do for you.

40-minutes ...although it was 13-yrs between #1 & #2 :P

Really though, getting the BQ is going to depend on your long-distance endurance. Being the same age, I've got that same BQ number charred in my brain, but to get there I'm concluding it is going to take some big mileage and putting down some 10-miler & halfM type distance PRs or near PRs. For me, judging my marathon potential off of 5kms or 5-milers is impossible. So, not to be critical, but December is going to come quickly...how 'bout Mar-Apr and have that nice FL winter to build up through?

Thanks for the answers everyone. I seem to run a lot faster in the winter and I don't have much time to travel to other races so I am going to focus on the Jax Marathon. I do plan on increasing my mileage some from last year and I have to make a concerted effort to make my shorter runs a little more intense.

I seem to run all my runs at around the same pace.