I am trying to learn more about the symptoms of schizophrenia, because I suspect an acquaintance of mine suffers from it, though he has never been formally diagnosed due to refusal to get help. I am interested in the characteristics of catatonic stupors in schizophrenia. Can anyone tell me more?

Please do bear in mind that not every schizophrenia patients suffers from catatonic stupors, though it is certainly by no means unusual. During catatonic stupors, a patients refrains from reacting to any stimulations, often sits still for very long periods of time and does not communicate in any way. A person with a catatonic stupor looks withdrawn and utterly lost.

Hi there,
You have to understand that catatonic schizophrenia is usually characterized by symptoms such as stupor, rigidity and excitement. You have to know that mania can also be presented with person who has catatonic schizophrenia. There are two expressions with catatonic schizophrenia, the first are experiencing catatonic excitement will exhibit manic behaviors such as babbling or speaking incoherently. On the other hand those experience catatonic stupor remain in a stupor for extended periods of time. You also have to understand that sometimes this can be mistaken for psychotic mood disorders. Do you know if your friend is using any medication right now for his condition? I hope this helped you in any way.
All the best,
Danella