My daughter, who is 15, had a car accident three months ago. Others who were in the car with her were killed and the doctors were amazed to see her with only one leg and one arm broken. We were all very happy when she left the hospital with excellent prognosis. Now, she feels an excruciating pain in her chest whenever she wants to take a deeper breath, to smile, to lower her body, to sit down or stand up. Our friends told us that this might be the problem with dislocated ribs (they have heard about a similar case long time ago). We went to check that, but were told that it was probably nothing. Is this problem really connected to dislocated ribs? What to do, how to help her? She is really in pain.

It is possible that the doctors simply failed to notice the problems with the ribs, but it really is terrifying, since they should have checked all organs after such a terrible accident. The probable scenario is that your daughter’s ribs were fractured and/or dislocated in that accident. If the ribs were broken, and your girl experienced no symptoms during these three months, then they have probably healed by now (at least to some extent). The problem of the dislocated ribs now lies in the fact that they must not be treated by a chiropractor because the degree of the previous injury is not known. You should see the doctor, explain the symptoms and have the girl’s ribs X - rayed. If the ribs have healed enough, basically any chiropractor should be able to fix them. If not, then the appropriate steps by the doctors must be taken in order to prevent the possible worsening of your daughter’s condition. To lessen the pain in the meantime, use cold packs.

Actually, I've just dislocated two my ribs recently (last Thursday) and I experienced lots of pain and popping before I had them rather violently shoved back in. I don't recommend that, but actually it seems like your daughter's ribs are broken rather than dislocated. I'd go see a chiropracter right away if I were you.