Had a car accident a week ago, and yesterday I started to feel great pain and discomfort around the area of my sternum, especially when i breathe or lift my arms up the in the air. My parents don't reckon it's worth going to the doctors before because all they will prescribe me is painkillers. Should I just sit the pain out or go to the doctors? Also, is it broken or bruised?

Car accident was hitting a grass verge at 40mph, so sharp stop and seatbelt, car then proceeded to roll and the seatbelt held me away from gravity.

You are probably facing with serious injury since you have this pain. Usually, in this case, you might have broken sternum and this can cause a really huge pain for you. Sure that you should not let this pain to be present, what is wrong with you? Visiting the doctor is your only option especially if this is really broken! 

You can't sit at your home thinking is this broken or bruised or something third. It doesn't matter how fast you were driving your car. And your parents SHOULD KNOW that you need to go to your doctor. All those symptoms that you are having are telling you that something serious is going on. 

Hallo,

This is very unfortunate to hear. I think that many people considered that they broken they sternum when they have an accident that involves the chest area. But the truth is that in most cases you just suffer an injury that causes a lot of pain and difficulties. If you think that you have broken something I think that you need to see your doctor in order to get diagnosed on time and to see what is the best treatment option for you. I am not sure if your parents are right this time. I hope that this helped you in any way possible.  

All the best to you,

Karen