I was involved in a car accident about 10 months ago and was the passenger. We ended up t-boning one car, and hitting another car head on. If I were to put a speed on this, I'd probably say we were going 50-55mph then came to a dead stop. Anyway, I went to the hospital immediately after and got x-rays done of my lower back, neck and my chest. I was diagnosed with just severe whiplash and had no fractures anywhere. About a week after the accident I went to the orthopedic hospital and started getting my injuries further looked into. I went to physical therapy for my lower back for a month, then got an MRI after that. I ended up having a disc herniated a tad, which they fixed with a steroid injection. My main concern now is my chest. It hurt immediately after the accident, but I really didn't think too much of it because it was right after the accident, and I figured that's pretty much what comes with whiplash. I mentioned it to my orthopedic doctor and he, too, just said it was probably just what comes with whiplash since there were no fractures anywhere. I was fine until probably sometime in November, when the weather started getting colder (living up north), and my chest started getting tighter. I went back to my orthopedic doctor and ended up getting another MRI for my upper back, because I thought maybe I slipped a disc and messed something up. Thankfully there was nothing wrong with my upper back, but I'm kind of bummed because I have no idea why my chest is still hurting after 10 months. I'm a 23 years old, athletic male, there should be absolutely no reason why I'm not bouncing right back and feeling fine. My chest hurts on my right side MOST days but sometimes my whole chest hurts - right in the center. Just imagine someone putting one palm of their hand on one bicep and one palm on the other and just pushing you together. I feel like my chest is going to pop out. That's the only way I can describe it. When it hurts on just the right side, the right side of my sternum, which is right where most of the impact was from the seatbelt stopping me. It also hurts if I turn to my right, roll over to my right in bed. At some points when it's really cold, both my chest and my upper back hurts, like the pain is going right through my back to my chest. So, pretty much whatever I do that causes me to put pressure onto my chest, hurts it in that one spot. Does anyone suffer or have a similar situation that could maybe help me with this? This is just getting to the point of where it's starting to piss me off because I'm over it hurting all the time, or pretty much whenever the weather gets nasty and cold. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I was in a head on collision may 29th and am experiencing the same thing. I can't cough or sneeze its so painful but there's nothing broken! It almost feels like pnemonia!

Check with Chiro about popped ribs.. Could be seatbelt that initated

OMG I thought I was the only one out there! I have the same issues and I feel like my family thinks I'm crazy since the wreck will be a year ago come Oct. 28, I haven't found a doctor yet to tell me why or what the cause is or why I'm still having this pain. Mine is in my chest wall, sternum, right breast, and right side of my ribs that attach to breast area and go under arm and around to back. It can come and go and sometimes I have a pinging or burning sensation with a bruised feeling. It sucks and if you settle with the insurance company now Im scared doctors may find the true cause of what's wrong down the road and I'll be screwed to pay for it and deal with it later still. I also have noticed a trend in it flaring up when it's cooler out or when it's gonna rain. Weird I know but it's like elderly people having arthritis and they know when it's gonna rain or something. I hope you get relief and answers, because I have been unsuccessful other than temporary massage therapy treatments but those in itself are painful having somebody's fingers digging into your sore ribs and muscle tissue and still have the same problems when you get home..

I had a same problem.  My chest pain start right after rear ended car crash.  And it is not going away, I felt a crunching pain when I laugh or try to stand-up.  I am 45 year old male, I am very active man but my chest pain hold me down for any activity.  It is miserable and painful.  I am so sorry to hear you also suffer the same.  It is not easy to live like this.  All the physio therapy won't help.  I am in constant pain.  

Tom, 

hot water shower is useful. massage very gently daily with any pain relive ornament. avoid fast movement. I found it usful. it takes time.

I know this is a bit late, but it sounds to me like a possible fractured sternum. I'm fairly certain its what I have after a car wreck two weeks ago. My friend was going 60mph and overcorrected, which caused a tire to pop off the truck and we rolled 3 times. I felt okay and I'm over bruising, but I have crazy chest pain... I want answers but the doc says everything's fine, but he did no x-rays or anything.

How are you feeling now?

I have been in several car accidents and have sustained other injuries and despite years of going to family doctors, clinics, and emergency multiple times, I have been struggling to get an accurate and conclusive diagnoses. For years I have been told this was fibromyalgia and that no matter what tests they could do, it was in my doctor's professional opinion that nothing would ever show up on any test. Well, after struggling to get more tests done, and still not getting all the areas of pain tested, the tests that I have had done have in fact shown that I have osteoarthritis in my cervical and lumbar spine and I have 3 calcified tendons of the rotator cuff.
I have since found a Bowen Therapist and I am finally feeling validated and I am starting to see results with healing finally. Apparently, I have had ribs that were out which would explain the pain and difficulty while breathing and using my right arm (I'm right handed), my diaphragm keeps sticking, my Vegus nerve is impinged, I have scar tissue in my hips and waist from where the seatbelt was, and my tailbone is inverted and points to the right.
I am currently on a non-emergency wait-list to see an Orthopedic Surgeon but who knows when I'll ever get in to see him since, for 5 years now, my doctor didn't seem to think that I have had any injuries that will show up so he did not put a priority on this case despite my desperate pleas over the years to be looked at quickly because of the severe pain I am always experiencing.
After the last test came back with positive results (rotator cuff calcification), I pointed out to my doctor that I believe my condition had worsened because he had taken so long to diagnose the issue and that he had yet to send me for tests on all the other parts of my body that are in pain. That was when he dumped me as his patient and left me with only 1/2 months worth of pain medicine knowing full well that there are no other available family doctors in town and knowing that clinics will not prescribe pain medicine.
Unfortunately, I now have extreme anxiety at the thought of going to any medical doctor and I feel like if I complain I will only get blacklisted (if I haven't been already). In addition, even if I did complain, I don't think it would make any difference since the doctors have such a monopoly with the health care system anyway and it would be a lot of added stress for me and very hard to prove since I can't afford to get tested privately or to hire a lawyer.
I hope that you get the help you are seeking because I truly believe that, in this day and age and with all this modern technology we now have to find out what's really going on, no one should have to suffer from pain without knowing why and without hearing about all the options available for treatment.
The best suggestion that I could give is for you look to see if there is a Bowen Therapist in town because it is the best modality I have experienced to realign the body and help it to heal itself. It's very gentle and extremely effective and dynamic and a medical diagnosis is not needed to get started. I have had massage, chiropractor, acupuncture, rolfing, watsu, and physiotherapy and non has compared to the results I have gotten from Bowen!

Costochondritis is the condition. Irritated sternum and rib cartilage. Stubborn case is hard to kill.

Same here was in a headon collison and having problems like that i cant pick anything up or carry anything without it hurting mine happened about a month n a half ago n still no. Relief still off of work n it was november 12 2015 this happened.

Has anyone found the answer to the problem or a cure? I have the same issue. 2 Months ago I was in a high speed car crash where I was the passenger. After the accident I had lots of pain in my chest. Middle Mostly. Couldnt cough or sneeze for weeks without strong pain. Now months have gone by and I still have the pain in my chest. Mostly when I cough or sneez. Xray showed small fracture in rib but that is all. PLEASE HELP

Did you ever get answer on the issue? Im having the same problem months after my accident.

I'm almost broken down reading your post all because it sounds so similar to my story. I too was in a reck that cause chest pain and neck pain too and shoulder pain this has cause problems for 5 years and now it hurts to take deep breaths at time plus I work ten hours a day steady using my arms causing more pain I'm so stress out cause doctors haven't seen anything or tell me anything is wrong but it could be scar tissue but its getting worst and im shook what is it to do

Hello, my chest hurt as well and finally though I was having a heart attack, this is one year after accident. The Chiropractor adjusted all my ribs and now it's totally fine! It's some kind of inflammation between the ribs in the muscles. I hope this helps!