I have noticed recently that the lower ribs on my left side "flare out" or protrude outwards. Whereas my rib cage on the right side seems to have a natural curve to it, my rib cage on the left side almost seems to come to a sharp corner. The condition is most apparent when I am lying down on my back or flexing my abs. It doesn't hurt, but it definitely looks abnormal. With closer examination, I noticed that the third rib from the bottom on the left is actaully situated partially behind the fourth from the bottom. I am 17 years old and I'm concerned that the problem has the potential to get worse as I get older. My ribs also curve inward as they approach the sternum, which is set back slightly, but not enough to be considered pectus excavtum. Does anyone know anything about this condition? Also, would increasing the size of the abs and external obliques help to cover up thee problem?

Wow...I have the same problem. I just noticed this...abnormality.

On my left side, the last few ribs are sticking out; while my right side is just fine. I asked my doctor before, and he replied with surgery if it hurts. And the surgery is going to remove more than the two-three undesired ribs....so I need a second opinion.

So I really wish to hear a nice affordable way in fixing the uneven ribs.

Sooo I have the exact same problem, and it's really annoying.
Mines even on my left side as well !

Anyway, I read this article about people who have uneven ribs like us, and they actually said to try a corset .. it would take a bit of time, but they said after tightening a couple times it actually shifts your bone back into place.

Just thought i'd let you know .. since i'm against surgery. haha

I've got a similar problem that I have had for as long as I can remember, Just like the person who wrote the first post, my ribs on my left side come to a sharp corner and the ones on my right have a natural curve to them. The rib 3rd from the bottom one is either larger or higher set then my other ribs because it protrudes, which sometimes hurts. The rib 4th from the bottom is either smaller or lower set, this does not bother me as much. Although, I'm still not sure whether I just have an extra rib that is crowding my other ribs or if it is just larger, either way it's still very annoying at times. I am hoping this will change in time because they are not fully developed yet (I'm 14 years old).

Ive got pretty much the same problem, going to and speak to a doctor about it. One of the doctors told me that it was just a floating rib, but it looks like there is a depression and like one or two of my bottom ribs are going in whilst the rest are growing normally.

I have noticed recently that on my left hand side, the lower ribs have protruded out. if i breath in , i can see clearly how asymmetrical is. I have been born with a chest deformity, i think some calcium deposits on my upper right side, underneath the breast. I just thought that, after i stopped growing, it will be no problems any more. now i am 31, and i have started to get deformed on the opposite side. it does not hurt, but i feel something is wrong. what can be?

I noticed when I was younger that something wasn’t quite right with my ribs and having spoken to the doctor I have 2 extra ones (one on either side) and they stick out a lot it has resulted in a very tender diaphragm as well. I find it very uncomfortable to lie on my side or my front. My dad had 1 extra 1 that is crooked and my brother does as well. I was offered surgery by the NHS but I was told that it would be very painful and I would be left with large scars. I was just wondering if anyone has been through the surgery that can tell me what it is like?

i have the exact same thing. left side, 3rd rib is more in then the rest giving the illusion that the 4th is protruding out more...my buddy told me chiropractic correction would do the trick...any1 else heard anything?

i have always noticed my left lower ribs stick out since i was 12 im now 16 and i went to my doctors to see what it was and they hadn't seen it before so they gave me an ultrasound but nothing but a rib showed up .. i am in pain with my rib and sometimes a loss of breath .. its not good that british doctors wont tell me what my problem is .. or try to come up with a solution ..
jaiimee lea
xocox

As a physical therapist, left flaring ribs are seen, but so far never on the right. Asymmetry of the diaphragm, (look at an anatomical picture ) in function can cause a right lumbar rotation, compensatory left thoracic rotation. The ribs in response to the thoracic rotation will externally rotate on
the left giving you the flare you feel in the lower ribs. Likewise, the ribs on the right, internally rotate and leave you with a " smoother" rib cage.

For starters oblique abdominals need strengthening. No doctor will help you with this. They are not aware of the dysfunctional rib cage. Look for a Hruska trained PT.

Ribjoint

I have noticed the same problem with my lower left ribs. I was born with a mild pigeon chest, but was never bothered by it as it wasn't very noticeable. But after my second pregnancy, this whole rib thing has me pretty weirded out. It's quite obvious. I'm wondering if it is from carrying my baby and favouring my right hip? My left rib cage seems to flare out by about three inches more than my right one. Has anyone found answers? I'm talking to a physiotherapist about it tomorrow...

i have this problem except it is on both sides... im worried mayble there more fragile to get broken because they stick out as much and since i play alot of phycial sports it worries me what the best suggestion

I have the same problem! My left rib cage protrudes farther than my right. When I lay on my back it looks the worst but it is always obvious. I read something online that said that a corset would work. It said that the condition was because of excess cartilage. I dont know if I have more than the usuall amount of ribs but it always makes me self concious. I am glad I am not the only one who has this problem! If anyone has any other solutions please respond!! Also does anyone know where to get a corset and who fits it for you??? (I am 13 years old)

the concave condition of the sternum (funnel chest, hole in chest, dent etc) creates appearance of a dip in the chest. This condition is called pectus excavatum and is the most common chest wall deformity. Flared/protruding ribs are a common side effect. The condition comes in varying degrees of severity. there is surgical treatment in addition to more experimental none surgical treatment. I can however tell you that my moderate pectus has been almost completely cured using a vacuum bell (one of the non surgical alternatives).

Well the physical therapist is quite right. I have a 15 yr old girl, who has had an externally rotated rib now for a year, injury in basketball. We have been to see a number of doctors and chiropractors. This last chiroprator has been the most helpful. We were referred to a sport med doct that does prolo therapy to try to heal the cartlidge. this condition has been quite painful, as we get it back in place, then comes out again. they say alot of kids that play physical sports have this injury and never notice it. either it needs to get back in place or just stay out and body adjust to it. I would rather try to keep it in place. If you would notice, more than likely you will have a larger bump on one side of your breast bone that sticks out when your rib is externally rotated. anyway, thoght I would put me 2 cents in. Still dealing with it. Can get child to sit still enough to fix it.