I was involved in an accident about 1 year ago, fracturing my sternum. I was treated , spent one nigh in the hosp., sent home. I was out of work for 2 months. Released from dr.s care. Went back to work, Now almost 1 year never although better, there is still pain when when I lift some things, and sometimes a loud poping sound from my sternum. Is this normal? I am scheduled to see the doctor they gave me at the hosp. (Gen. Surgeon) In 2 weeks. (When I was released to go back to work 10 months ago they never took new X Rays, Is That Standard Procedure ?) ?

It reminds me of my accident several years ago. It was nothing that serious because after the accident I was able to get off my car alone, without anyone helping me. They diagnosed sternum fracture and it was OK - they were healing me, giving me some painkillers, etc.

But when I had a general medical examination before I changed my job, doctors looked at my chest and they saw that something is not ok. 

They did this x - ray test and guess what, it looks like that I had broken sternum back then, not fractured. That was the main reason why I felt so big pain.

In your case, I think that this is also not normal and that you should do this new X - ray again. Just to see your progress. 

A friend of mine has also had a similar problem with fractured sternum and still he says he can feel some popping sounds in his chest just like you. He also doesn’t know what could that be, but he assumes it has something to do with the fracture he had a few months ago. I believe he was sent to X-ray twice, even though many people say this kind of fractures don’t ask for a repeated X-rays. But what I think is that every single fracture should be X-rayed at least twice, the first time to confirm the fracture and the other one to see if the fracture is scarred over.
When you go for the check up, you demand a new X-ray just in case, no matter what doctor says, if everything turns out to be good this would surely put your mind at ease, wouldn’t it?

I was involved in a car accident 2 and 1/2 years ago. I get a lot of chest pain. Last week the pain was to terrible that I could not breath. The ambulance had to pick me up at work. In that accident I fractured my sternum. Now, my heart is fine, there is nothing there cousing the pain. I went to my doctor and told him that probably that fracture is imflamated and its cousing the pain. He said that this is imposible because the accident was 2 and 1/2 years ago. I never had any problems with pain chest untill that accident. How long does it that a fractured sturnum to be heal? He does not want to do no more x.ray. How can I know?f

I unfortunately had to get CPR around about a year ago due to a mistake at the hospital. I had x rays taken of my chest and they appeared clear. Recently I have been having chest pain near the tip of my sternum. After a self examination I have found that I can move the tip of my sternum just a little bit and probably is the cause of my pain. The pain isn't unbearable but it is noticeable. Hopefully I can see my doctor again soon as it has gotten very annoying recently.

what painkillers were you given

i was in a car accident 5months ago and fractured my sternum i was in the hosptial for 3weeks they placed 2 metal plates in my sternum but still from time to time when i cough,sneeze yawn or even when it rains i'm in alot of pain even when i breathe in and out??????? :cry: :|

i also have 2 metals plates on my sternum as well. Like a couple of you guys, my fractured sternum wasn't discovered until a week after the car accident. Like Karima227, I still feel a bit of pain when I sneeze or cough or after I do push up. The surgery was 8 years ago. My surgeon did warn me that it will never feel normal because metal plates are not part of your body. Last year, I feel like the pain was more constant so I went to the doctor and asked them to check up on the metals. They took an x-ray and discovered one of my metal plates is fractured. I didn't want them to open me up unless it's poking and causing damaged tissue inside. Yikes right? They said it didn't so I left the fractured metal alone but now i am feeling more pain. I wonder if we should be restraint from doing push ups or riding on roller coasters and if that would cause hardware damage on our metals? I when it gets cold, I also get breathing problems and it hurts to breath to hard. I think it's because the metal gets colder during cold weather and affects the temperature of our lungs. I'm planning on going to urgent care tomorrow to get my metals checked up