A couple weeks ago, my boyfriend got into a bad car accident. He was stopped at a red light and a car hit him from behind at almost 60mph. He went to the hospital and followed up with a few doctors. Now, they believe he may have a slipped disc in his back, which is horrible, but possibly the least of his worries. A couple days after the accident he had a lump forming just above his collarbone on the right side - I read some of the other posts on here and think it's where the lymph nodes are. I have read a lot saying the possibility of cancer but it doesnt make any sense with him. It's not a large swelling, but it's hard like a bone. It doesnt hurt him (but sometime he says holding the phone to his ear hurts him, but i dont know how true that is) Anyway, I'm thinking it could be something else. Like I know there's a possibility of it being a lymph node, but do you guys know of anything else? He's on all kinds of pain killers and it was caused by the accident. He's freaking out thinking that he's going to die because there is this stupid lump. What do you guys think it could be??

-Jess

Hi! I'm a 28 year old female. I had the same thing happen to me. I was I'n a pretty bad car accident and about six months ago I found a hard lump above my clavicle, on the right side. It's hard like a rock, doesn't move, and it hasn't been hurting until recently. I went to the doctors, took an X-ray, they saw the lump and now waiting to have an ultra sound. I dont know. The doctor didn't seem to worried cause other wise i would think the ultra sound would be sooner than 5 months away. Im starting to get worried cause I'm winded and tired all the time. I'm starting to feel really neglected from that doctor, with what I'm asking him and with my concerns. I'm going in, I'n a few days to see if I can get the ultra sound sooner. I should not be having these signs and symptoms for someone my age, who is is shape and extremely active. My opinion, do some of your own research, ask a ton of question, cause lately, I feel like health care system is a joke. There is a reason why thousands of patients die every year, due to mistakes and negligence. Good luck and good health

I was in a accendent where a 18 wheeler ran a red light and hit the driver side, now there is a large rock like mass just above my left collar bone. 4" by 3" in size, went for a cat scan and they said it was a contusion. What ever that meens. it is not going down or reduceing at all. seeing my doctors in 2 weeks and i need to know. I will keep you informed.

Hi, the same thing happened to me. It just means your shoulder is out, which causes it to swell. After a car accident this is especially likely! Go see a chiropractor and they will fix it, and the lump will disappear. 

Hi thank u for this information, my four year old fell of a scooter and hurt his shoulder and 6 days later and after an x-ray that shows no breaks he still can not use his arm properly! There is a massive lump on his collar bone that seems to be growing everyday the doctors say it will heal in a few day that was 3 days ago but its still growing (its about the size of a bonker marbleball) and the pain started from his shoulder...so I will ask about a chiropractor cheers :)

The same thing happened to me after a head on collision. I was at a complete stop waiting to make a left hand turn when two cars hit me. The seat belt caused multiple contusions along the line of the belt from my neck to my chest. I was black and blue and the swelling on my neck began instantaneously under the most severe contusion on the left side of my neck above my collarbone. I have multiple herniated discs from my cervical through my lumbar spine. My left rotator cuff was torn. The accident was more than a year ago and the lump is still there. I have been searching the internet for that long ~ and this is the first place I have found anyone with the same problem. Neither my family doctor, chiropractor or orthopedist have ever seen this type of injury. Am interested to know if anyone ever found a definitive diagnosis and/or treatment.Thanks!

Did you ever get an answer because my accident was 2 1/2 years ago, I am supposed to be reaching a settlement with the ins. co. soon and I have never healed from any of my muscular injuries and now I think this lump is causing some of my permanent pain.

Are you sure cuz same thing happened to me and I'm only 17 and I'm very active and relatively healthy I don't smoke or anything. I also have a baby on the way and I'm just super scared

No, never found an answer. It's been ultrasound and MRI'd. The swelling just never went down from the seatbelt ~ and yes, it has caused PERMANENT injuries to both my neck, shoulder and back.

I was in a car accident 3 years ago got hit from behind by car doing about 60mph to this day I'm still swollen by my back left side of my neck n a doctor asked me about it the other day n I told him how I though it would get better n now 3 yrs later it hasn't, I'm going to go c another doctor next week n get tests done... About 2 weeks after accident I went to a dress fitting n the tailor said to me" your left side of your neck/ back is swollen but at the time I figured accident just happens do thought nothing of it but now I'm getting worried because it's been 3 yrs n swelling has never went down n I keep getting weird pains that shoot to my head

I'm in the same boat as u my case has just went to deposition n still so many ailments n now have to go see 4 dr's on the defendants side which I'm actually happy about because ever since the accident I have had swelling on my left side n it hasn't went down at all maybe their dr's will b able to help since its been 3 yrs with no reduced swelling n pain that shoots from the swollen area to bottom portion of my head I'm nervous n there is no doubt they r related...also only a couple of months ago did they do the correct testing be sued for 3 yrs I kept complaining of pain shooting down left part of my leg n radiating so bad madd it hard to drive, sleep, sit walk work but 2 dr's said see gynecologist it's probably s cyst finally after 2 or so yes couldn't take it anymore n orthopedic dr recommended hip mri with contrast which determined I have a tear in my left labrum n a lower back mri shown back disc bulge but it took a LONG time for dr's to finally get some answers n my persistence, so if ur still feeling pain keep going dr's

Sounds like something a Chiropractor would say just to get you in. Don't assume you shoulder is out! I had the same injuries and developed lumps within my cheek and on the left side above my collar bone. Judging by where the lumps are located it seemed to me that these were located along nodes of my lymphatic system. Sure enough after seeing the Doctor he confirmed that my lymph nodes were swollen and did not seem worried about it.

Following up on my post you've replied to, it is now five years since my accident and the lump is still present on the left side of my neck. MRIs and Ultrasound show nothing. It is NOT swollen lymph nodes. It's permanent damage from the seat belt's force in restraining me, and it still causes radiating pain. Also any pressure on it for even a short amount of time, sends pins and needles down my left arm/shoulder, neck, back and spine.