Today at work I was a subject of a bad joke. Everybody was laughed to my black tongue. I could not remember the origin of this, whole morning. Finally, it just bumped in to my face: my tongue could have been black because of Pepto Bismol chewable tablets. Am I right?

It definitely can. You are so right about this one and I am glad you have mentioned this because a lot of people doesn't know anything about this. 

It can make your stool and your tongue darker. 

But I was also reading more about this and I found out that this type discoloration is temporary and generally the harmless. The active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol contains bismuth and that this is the main reason why your tongue becomes black.

So, maybe this is not the main reason why you have those issues. Maybe it is some other reason behind this.

Try to find out more about black tongue (symptoms or treatment) by asking your doctor about this. 

You are quite all right. Your tongue can be black because of Pepeto Bismol chewable tablets. But you can have black tongue if you are sick. I didnt want to scare you but maybe checking this would be good idea. You may tested by yourself, do not use Pepeto Bismol tablets for some days.

My God, am I glad this is here! I got so worried this morning when I woke up with a black tongue and mouth. I am travelling in Central America and was worried I caught something really nasty. I took 2 peptoBismol tablets last night right before bed. Woke up with the blackest mouth.

Already it is going away.

Thanks for this post being here.

Greg

I woke up this morning and i had a really bad stomach ache...i went to brush my teeth and i screamed because i had a black tongue. I scrubbed at it with my toothbrush for a long time, and it has been going away through out the day. I took two pepto bismol tablets before i went to sleep. could my stomach ache be a side affect too?

Over the weekend my son had a stomach ache so I gave him 2 chewable pepto bismal.  He woke up the next day horrified to find his tongue black.  I thought something might be seriously wrong with him.  Today I started searching the net to see what I could find out before I took him to the doctor.  I looked on the pepto site & they stated that using this product can cause black tongue.

All these posts were helpful.  I went to bed chewing on a pepto bismal tablet.  I woke up and my teeth had black residue all over them!  I brushed them immediately and it went away, but it did freak me out.  Glad to know that this is a normal side effect.  I don't think that I will use that product anymore.

LOL DITTO TO THIS POST................ i thought I was having a heart attack i got so scared

hey my tounge is black i took 1 yeterday n now my tounges black ...i might seu who make them

Same happen with me.. i worried when i saw my toung become black when i wake up.. Dnt take tension buddies its effect of PEPTO BISMOL tablet

I did this last night too.. took two chewables and this morning, tongue was blackish brown.. scared the life out of me... Thanks for all your replies...

It happened to me last week. I chewed the tablets right before bed.when I woke up the next morning for church my mouth tongue and all was black as dirt.

Whew, same thing happened to me just a little while ago. I took the pepto tablets in the early morning and I just discovered a black tongue and mouth while brushing my teeth. That scared me so bad, I was getting ready to rush myself to the emergency room. Thank goodness for these posts!

I was super scared this morning when I saw my tongue was all black. thanks to all of you for this post it gave me great relief that it was just beacause of the chewables i took last night. Oh my gosh

MY TONGUE TURNED BLACK ALSO FROM THE SAME THING. I THOUGH MAYBE DURING THE NIGHT I CHEWED ON A FLY OR SOMETHING