Hi, I'm on day 5 after my tonsillectomy. I feel pretty good, my throat does not hurt very much except when trying to swallow, but my tongue hurts really bad. When I look at it, it looks like there are two pretty big scars in it with white/yellow scabs, just like they kept the tongue down with something sharp that hurt it. It's painful, if I don't take the pain medication I can't even sleep. Have anyone else experienced this? Again, my throat is sore and I have the extremely bad breath, but it's nothing compared to the tongue pain.. I had fever day 2 and 3, but it's over, and last night I slept the whole night through without waking up. It's very painful to eat and drink, but I can do without much food, and I manage to drink enough water. BTW: Male, 25 years..

iI even hurt on the roof of my mouth as if i've been pushing against it .....i had one day where for about an hour i felt fine and thought alrighty i'm mending ........well it didn't last and here it is 9 days later and still hurting,... :-(

When I had my tonsillectomy, my whole mouth was in pain - my throat, tongue and it was so strong pain that I had a feeling that my teeth hurt as well. Tongue Pain is one of the tonsillectomy side effects and a lot of people experience it. My tongue was actually sore for two or three days, I can't even remember. One of the reason is that after a procedure, your tongue may be repeatedly bumped during the surgery by some surgical tools. So generally you really don't have a lot of reasons to be scared about. It is actually normal, but if you are in pain, don't hesitate to call your doctor about this and ask him for an opinion. 

my tongue was excruciating, much worse than my throat. A GP said the tip had been damaged by the gag that they use to keep mouth open. Even now five weeks later things are not right, and I have a foul salty taste in mouth all the time. I think they should warn you of this, never was mentioned but I see from psots that it occurs alot!

I'm a 22 year old female and just had my tonsils removed 2 days ago. The back of my tongue is as sore as my tonsils and the front sides are numb... i could bite them and not notice... and it's extremely white. Is this occuring for other ppl as well? Also... everything I manage to swallow goes up my nose... anyone else have this problem?

It's been six days since my tonsillectomy and I'm having ear pains as well as some hurting when I swallow (but of course this is all expected). My tongue was white yesterday but I took matters into my own hands and used a metal spoon to scrape it [not too hard]. Now my tongue is back to normal (a pink color). Drink LOTS of fluids as it helps make it go away, if not you might have THRUSH a yeast infection in your mouth. So far I've lost ten pounds and I'm only on day six! :-) This makes me very happy since all girls want to be skinny now a days. Hopefully I'll lose about twenty, because I heard that after you recover, most people gain it all back? :-( boo!!! Does anyone know about this?

Well, I had my tonsillectomy 4 days ago and on the right side of my tongue is a yellowish colored cut/burn.It is rather painful when I try to talk, and when in the hospital I mentioned it to the nurse and she said that the doctor likely hit my tongue when he was burning my tonsils. That may be what is wrong in your case too.

haha i've been dealing with the same thing... its day 6... my throat doesn't hurt as much as my ears and my tounge is just generaly cut up, white, blotchy, and uncomfrotable... my mouth tastes like snot and urine and my breath reeks of old herring... does anyone no how long things like that are going to last... Oh and i went off my hydrocodone today, and got really hungry... in the first 6 days i lost 6 pounds... i've finally felt hunger since i went off the narcs... it sucks cause i can't eat without feeling naseau

i'm having the same problems, too with my tongue. i'm on day 8 now, and my throat hardly hurts at all, but my tongue burns like crazy in the back, especially if i lay on my side, and it makes my ear hurt, too. i remember also right after i woke up from the surgery that the tip of my tongue was twitching really bad. did that happen to anyone else? if so, how long did it take for the pain to quit?

Ok... so I totally feel your pain. I am 8 days out now and my tounge still hurts... NOONE told me my damn tounge was going to hurt. And for the first 6 days I thought I had thrush! Not cool... no warning on that one either. But there is light at the end of the tunnel I can see it because my tounge did hurt from the tip until all the way down my throat... but now it is just the very middle (where i tried to scrape the white stuff off -- FYI don't do that... it hurts so bad!). and in the back still by where my throat hurts. But question for you when I eat anything that is not complete mush (ie. pudding/applesause) it feels like parts of it get stuck in back... Norm? Not? WtF? I D K. Everyone says we will be much much better when it is all over... LET'S HOPE!!

i have mine out a day and i know i shouldnt expect to feel great so early but should i be this sore?? the back of my tongue hurts, i'm coughing up brown phlegm and my throat is on agony! 8-|
please help ,someone!!!
xxxx

you should seek help. since when is freedom of speech a crime? We're not jeopardizing anyone's health, but INFORMING others of our experiences in hopes that they'll get some REALISTIC examples of what it's like in the aftermath. Your son is jeopardizing his own health by choosing not to go, and if he doesn't understand that or doesn't go, it's YOUR fault, and no one else's. You're the parent. do your job.

And if you were a well informed individual who is seeking to ease your son's worries then you'd do your own research and be able to easily explain to him that this board is filled with adults...ADULTS, who are expected to have a somewhat more difficult recovery than children(assuming your son is a child).

And another thing, how about you give us a break? everyone's recovery is unique but it's a far stretch from easy for most. if the pain doesn't get you then it's definitely the lack of food. It's HELPFUL to be able to share experiences with others who have been there or are going through it simultaneously because in a lot of cases, they have a vast amount of insight on little tips and tricks that helps us get through. Maybe you should try looking on the positive side of a forum rather than attacking people with useless and counterproductive insults.

Well said pennida....stacydelgado you are a complete whackjob. I'm glad I have a place to go since surgery and yes there are posts that make me frightened...but they are real. People having a place to vent about whats going on. This is not an easy surgery for some, quite honestly I've had a few surgeries that you would think should have made this one look like a cake walk, but this is much worse. For me. If you have read this site, you will see that there are different degrees of pain that people experience.

I wont waste any more time on you...you have issues and hopefully your son went through with it if the benefits outweighed the surgery.

Okay im 40 tonsils were taken 9 days ago by a procedure called Coblation . Less evasive than the old way or so I was told. I have to agree though the throat pain was MINIMAL No huge black scabs ,,yes my adnoids gone also,,,The Tongue ---Teeth--Ear Pain By Far the worst,,day 4 I thought well this isnt so bad I can do this ,,mild discomfort,,,then I woke up Day 5 and OMG people.... and for the whack job whos was complaining on the board about her son not wanting to go..

If it wasnt for this Board I would not have known about ICE PACKS,,,THE ONLY SAVING GRACE FOR THAT EAR TONGUE TEETH PAIN!...nor would I have Known about that pain ,,you see the Doc dont tell you about that ,,why would they would you do it then?...But these Nice people here did and I AM THANKFUL......

So Number

1.Plenty of Water force yourself hold someones hand and squeeze when it hurts.

2. Take your Meds Pain medicine STAY WAY AHEAD OF IT if its every 4 hrs take it every 3 hrs and 45 minutes stay 15 minutes ahead of the pain.

3. ICE PACKS ICE PACKS ICE PACKS

And my thoughts are with everyone ,,YES IT SUCKS BUT WE ARE DONE WITH IT ...WOOHOO!

I am 36 yrs old, female, and it has been 3 weeks since my surgery. My throat still hurts, and my tongue is still a little numb on one side. My favorite drink, cold milk, tastes entirely different now. There is still swelling on the left side of my throat, and the Dr. gave me steroids to try and shrink it, but that didn't help. So, when I eat, it feels like there's always food caught in the back of my throat. And, I have to drink water just to get the food to go down, each time I take a bite.
For those people asking about the tongue pain... OMG!! I agree, there should be a big warning. I NEVER expected my tongue to be covered in sores, gashes, and black and blue spots... it was horrible. I also had the white, thrush-like film on it for a long time. Couldnt' there be something that is less painful? Don't they know what that thing does to your tongue?? And, the flem and saliva would not stop flowing, which made it impossible to sleep the first 3 or 4 nights. I drank my liquid Lortab religiously up until the 14 day.
Hopefully, my taste buds will go back to normal!
good luck to all tonsillectomy victims, and ask your Dr. prior to surgery about the tongue thing!!