Hi, I have black stool for last 2 days. What does that mean? I didn’t it any strange food, so I can’t see the reason of black colour. Did anybody have such a problem?

Black, “tarry” and foul smelling stool is called melena. Melena occurs when the blood in the colon is broken down to substances –hematin, that are black. The blood needs to stay long enough in colon to undergo this process. Black stool usually signifies bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal tract, what means from stomach or duodenal ulcers or from the small intestine. Sometimes black stool may be accompanied by bleeding from the right colon. In any case you should check with your doctor what is cause of black stool. Greater loss of blood could result in anemia, which leads to insufficient oxygenation and nourishing of body tissues.

Taking alot of pepto bismol can also turn your stool black.

Thanks for the quote pepto bismol must be the reason. thanks

The same with me thank you very much