Hello I am 46 year old man, I am getting sharp pain on my tongue for a few seconds . I had this problem one month before and it repeated almost every day. There was no problem for almost last 2 weeks. Yesterday night it started again repeated two times. Pain is like a cutting the tongue. very sharp and it remains for seconds. I don't have any dental problems at present. I don't put any crown on the tooth. No colour difference on the tongue.

I also have this same problem, I am a male, and will turn 48 in April. this started happening about 3-4 months ago. It seems to ONLY happen in the morning, during the 10 minutes or so that I am laying in bed after the alarm goes off. The pain lasts anywhere from 2-10 seconds. Pain initially is like a sharp cutting pain and then as it subsides feels more like burning pins and needles.

I do have slight degenerative discs in my neck and foraminal stenosis. I also have a herniated disc between l4/l5.

Could the pain be associated at all with my discs in my neck?

I get a sharp pain in my tongue, just as I fall asleep, usually on the right side of my tongue. It feels like I am biting it, and it wakes me up. I sometimes get the same sharp pain just as I am falling out of sleep in the morning. What is it?

I too have the same symptoms as (Guest) the person above. I saw my dentist and he examined my tongue and found nothing wrong. It usually happens at night as I am falling asleep or early in the morning before I wake up. Sometimes it's on either side of my tongue that I get this sharp pain that lasts 2-5 seconds, then goes away. Anyone have answers?

I've been having the same problem as y'all. I'll get this sharp pain right before I wake up or on the verge of sleeping. Dentist says everything is fine. Doctor doesn't know what it can be. I don't know if it's related to the back problem I've been having lately or not.

Do any of you wake up with a dry tongue every once in awhile? That problem has come up at about the same time.

Wow - this describes exactly what I've experienced for many years now and any doctor has just looked at me like I'm crazy. It happens only when I'm half awake/asleep - recently I considered whether my impression was mistaken and perhaps the pain woke me up, and that's why I thought it was only in a half-awake state - but then I realized I don't think it's ever happened while I was fully awake, like during the middle of the day. I think it does seem to happen when I'm extra stressed, and I thought at one point it was happening when I'd eaten more sugar than usual - except now it's happened more recently when I've been careful to cut down on sugar consumption out of concern for weight and insulin resistance. Usually there's a small red bump in the area where the pain was, and the pain and bump last for a couple of days and then disappear. Any ideas at all???

I am experiencing the same problem. I wanted too know if any of you were also experiencing any of these symptoms

Numbness(hand, arm, leg, face, lips)
Tingling
Vitamin D deficiency
anemia
Yeast infection

Thanks

I'm glad I found this forum. I too have the exact same problem. Very sharp pain in one of the tongue sides.

I figured out that when I have less water, I get more of this. When I have sufficient water, this does not happen. doctors seem clueless; I'm 33 and have no health issue.

So, check your water intake and see if it does not happen on days when you have more water.

Thanks,
Abby

Hi. This is my first time here so maybe I just don't know where to look, but I don't see any answers here. I am a 47 Year old female and am having the same kind of tongue problems. Sharp pain on the side of my tongue at night or when I'm waking up. Doesn't last very long but happens over and over again. No apparent issues by looking at the side of my tongue. Does anyone know what causes this and what can be done for it?? Thank you.

Me too. I went to the Dr. today. He was completely stumped. Seems to have started when the weather got cold. Running the heater makes my mouth extremely dry. It doesnt seem to be related though, it happens when my mouth is not dry. He gave me a scrip for some steroids to apply to my tongue. If it doesnt help within a few days it's off to a specialist. Any others find a cause/cure ???

I have also had this problem. I googled for this and found this forum. I have what a lot of you are describing. I am a dialysis patient. While I am at my treatments I fall asleep but it is never a deep sleep because of the noise and the constant blood pressure checks every 30 minutes. I get the pain the side of my tongue and it wakes me up. The first time it happened about 6 months ago, it scared the c**p out of me. I have no idea what it could be.

Doesn't look like anyone is getting any answers. I am a 45 year old female and have been having the same problem - sharp pains in my tongue only when or dozing off. Happens if I nap on the couch or falling asleep in bed, day or night, never ever while awake. Sometimes I think I've bitten my tongue, but other times I'm quite sure I haven't and the pain just feels like I did. Really weird - would like a clue. It's nice to know I'm not alone though!

i am having same problem having sharp pain on the right side of tongue and cannot eat and speak much because of it. It is now almost 4 days.
Please Help.

Its weird that I am 49 and just started to experience this and everyone here is in their late 40s who list this.... I think I have undiagnose MS but have been told for years I have Fibromyalgia. In addition to same symptom listed here I also have swallowing difficulty in my sleep that seems to be much more than Apnea. I have a dog for the last 10 years who sleeps next to my bed and in the last 6 months he started to wake me up when I was breathing wrong in my sleep. He has never done this before . When I wake and I look at his face he seems worried or anxious. I know its because symptoms are getting worse and to be honest I would not be surpirsed if it kills me in my sleep!

I think I may have 'an' answer...whether it's 'the' answer is debatable.

I am 33 and have had the shooting tongue pain in my sleep, on and off for the last year. The times when it is most frequent is when I am anxious or stressed for more than a day or 2.

In the last year there have been x2 occasions when work and family have put me under a lot of stress for more than a 7 day period. During that period I had regular nightly tongue pains. When the stress abaited so did the frequency of the pains.

Prolonged stress and/or anxiety can manifest physically in a myriad of ways. It sounds far-fetched...but from my own experiences I know it to be true. See the link below for some examples:

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed