does anybody else love this?

it used to be a big part of my life before kids. now, it's a distant memory.
sniff.

my son put my skis on last weekend and did the "yard" -- he looked :fubby:

i have yet to find any excercise that is so aerobically a$$-kicking.

When I lived in the flatlands I loved when there was enough base to break out the skis.
And there sure is a big difference between the Nordic Trak and actually cross country skiing!!!

absolutely!!
i owned a NT ski machine -- really could't compare to the real thing. :umno: i used to live in the Cleveland area and we'd spend lots of time at Holden Arboretum. not exactly flat, but so beautiful. nothing like a good flat fairway though :wavey:

cross country skiing...... :pinklove: As a teen, I went with friends a lot. I loved it. Married, my husband didn't want to learn...and, as you said, time is a factor. When I move back to WI, it would be nice xtraining...but once again finding the time, especially as a single mom, is going to be hard. :(

absolutely!!
Not to change the subject but I've been to that Holden Arboretum. Pretty cool and would be a fine place for skiing.

The first time I put on skis when I was around seven and tried to actually move...I ended up doing the splitz! LOL! but caught on quickly. you're right, the aerobic conditioning is excellent, not to mention hitting the trails and taking it the surrounding beauty. it's a lot like running that way. :)

The only time I've ever been cross-country skiing was when I lived in South Dakota. Went with a group for a midnight ski and the temp was a lovely 24 below zero. 8O

I'm thinking I'll stay with the beach thing.

For a few years we lived literally across the street from a lit trail. Until 11pm the lights stayed on and a couple winters, I kid you not, I was out there every night. Before that, I was on my high school ski team and it was great training between cross-country and track. My senior year, the "skate" technique was hitting the race scene and boy am I glad I learned how to ski that way. It's an even better workout than classical and speedwise a person can fly through the woods. The only drawback is there is not a lot of groomed skating trails overall, so without easy access to one, I haven't been at it much the last few years.
There's a handful of skiing marathons around here I intend to get into one of these winters. I'm such a competitive snot though, I find it hard to ease back enough from winter running to get my skiing good enough to feel ready for a race. Something I really should just do and forget the racing aspect...I do love to be out on the trails.

wow - a ski marathon.
and yeah, forget the racing and get out on those trails. a lit trail is the bomb. we used to go to a lit golf course, they actually put lanterns out all along the trails, it was awesome at night if you didn't hit a rock or other obstruction in your path :umno:

you also have snow shoe marathons up there too.... what is the skating techinique? there was just enough snow for me to go skiing once so far this year and i'm still sore. of course, the trails were not groomed. i would definitely incorporate skiing into my crosstraining over the winter. it's an excellent workout. :wavey: