for those of you who run on the road, is it scarry or at anytime sketchy?

ive been running on mostly trails and figure i need to get out on the asphalt if i really want to take my running up a notch...but the bf doesnt think it would be safe for me to run on the road, even in the daylight...

if i were to do the route im thinking, i would only be on a road with no sidewalk for about 50 yds, maybe, but on a very hi traffic road. then i would cut thru a church parking lot to get to a less traffic-y road with a sidewalk....

i think id be ok, but are there any kinds of "saftey procedures" anyone does or i should be aware of when on the asphalt?

Carry a cell phone with you if at all possible, and stay to the main road heavily traveled roads. If you are really concerned carry a little canister of Mace. If you do switch to the roads, change your courses around so you are less likely to establish a pattern.

run facing traffic. I think you have less problems on a more well traveled as opposed to less traveled.

When I run when it will be all dark, I always wear a reflective vest.

I truly believe you are safer with more cars than less because someone is always around if there is a problem.

Mace is not a bad idea either .

The only time I get nervous in traffic is when it's dark and the shoulder is narrow. Wear a reflective vest. Visibility is key.

as already said, running into the direction of traffic is good and set yourself up with some illuminite so you glow like a christmas tree.

All of the above.

:twocents: from the nonurbanite and frequent city travelled. With the merciless sidewalk cement, road cambers, carbon monoxide and crazy drivers, if you are really wanting to take your running up a notch.. stick to the trails! Trail running has all the benes that you need for good running.. hills, varying terrain/pace, soft surfaces, clean air and great scenery.
You've got great advice above on road running, but I'm guessing you'll do it for convenience and not performance, 'cuz on the trails is where that's at.

I live in the city and I'm scared to run in the dark 8O I'm half scared to run in the daylight :umno:

I think I'm going to invest in some pepper spray and try to get over this...I'm WAY sick of the treadmill.

OH yeah I forgot, I also do my best not to run in and about the crack neighborhoods :wiggle:

I live in the city and I'm scared to run in the dark 8O I'm half scared to run in the daylight :umno: I think I'm going to invest in some pepper spray and try to get over this...I'm WAY sick of the treadmill. yeah, this is why i was running mostly on trails...but in order to run on the 'trail', i have to drive somewhere. which i dont mind too much but running already takes a big enough chuck out of my free time without having to drive 20-30 minutes to get to some trails... so i decided that i was gonna suck it up and try the whole road thing... i actually have yet to do it though, the bf thinks its not safe enough...

Very Important If you run on roads and/or sidewalks, you need to be very sure to 'balance' the slope you run on. All roads and sidewalks have a slope to them for drainage purposes. They aren't level. If you constantly run on one side of the road, you will develop injuries because of the imbalance caused in your stride. A lot of people blame the asphault and concrete for causing injuries. I think it has more to do with always running on the same side of the road and less to do with the density of the surface.

mmmmm... never thought of that....

Sidewalks typically don't camber as much as the roads to and you can run down the center of the sidewalk, unlike the road.

sometimes i run the trails, but I run a lot on county roads. it can be very scary. number one, be visible....who cares what you look like just so they can see you. even if no one is coming in your lane, be very cautious because gaukers in the other lane will swerve into your lane and that is very scary and dangerous. just be very aware of your surroundings. :wavey:

Shelly

if you're going to run on the road (us country folk run on roads all the time) leave the headphones/walkman at home...

for the most part i'll run opposing traffic but if i have time i'll switch sides when i hear a car approaching...

---
megawill