I had a non-runner tell me the other day that she knows this guy who gets black toenails from running alot and that he said it was pretty common among runners or something. I was just curious if anyone had ever heard of this before because it's never been a problem for me and I'd never even heard of it.

:wavey: I have had them and I know many others here have too.

Weird... I wonder what causes it.

Both feet - toe next to the big toe on each foot. When I went above 30 miles a week it started happening.

I did 33 miles last week with no problem... we'll see what happens when I eventually get up to 40.

Had three while training for and running the Kona Marathon in June.
All grown back now.
:umno:

Yesterday I left the car at home and walked to work. It's 7 km each way, so at least 1 hour each way on foot. When i got home in the evening i noticed a black toenail 8O . I don't know what causes it (friction or pressure i guess) but it seems it can happen while walking not just running.

Interesting... fortunately I haven't had a problem with it yet.

That is really strange, maybe is has to do with the way your toe nails are cut?

I run long distances (marathons) and have had some of my toenails turn blue, black and even fall off. I don't know why it happens, but I 've been meaning to ask a doctor friend of mine. Anyway, a fellow runner told me that his girl friend suggested he paint his nails a neutral (beige) color to cover up the bad ones. What he discovered over time is that the painted nails never became discolored anymore, but some of the unpainted ones did. So, he had his girlfriend paint all of them and it actually worked! Well, I had to try this myself to prove it (since there does not appear to be a medical reason why it would work), and I found that it really does work. It takes time, but over the past year and a half, I have not suffered from discolored toenails.
I look at it this way, the painted nails at least look consistent compared to the odd black or blue nail, so it's an improvement in my opinion. And, it's actually kind of fun to have my girlfriend paint them (but don't tell her that or she'll probably charge me for her services...).