(Boy,this should be like a moth to the flames type thread for those skater types out there...)

I've been thinking of skating as a cross training to the running. Would this be a good activity on the off running days?
I've never done in-line skating. I was a big time skater back in the day (all us wimmin hung out in rinks) and always loved to skate. With four wheels. I can cross country ski and ice skate, so I do have some sense of balance.
Could I go to the normal sporting goods type and buy some beginner skates? What about a helmet? Do I really need that too?

HI. may i be of assistance m'am?

Helmet, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
where do you live? i might be able to help ya out on some things locally too. maybe no promisces there.

I t sounds like a madness but skates are like running shoes you get what you pay for. CHEAP SKATES EQUAL FOOT PAIN. remember that. For a woman, I'd say go with K2 skates, Salomon skates, or Rollerblade. make sure you get the woman's fit there is a difference in the cuff for men and women's calves. a good set of skates will run about $180.00

a couple of differneces from what your used too. all rinks are flat, the world is not. because of this i would get ALL the equipment, at least for at first. Salomon makes a set of protection real comfy. except for the hand sliders (as a beginner use a wrist gaurd to start with.) this will protect you well.

PRACTICE YOUR BRAKING. !!!! OMG this is the important thing. anyone can get moving. but STOPPING is not an inherent skill. There may be a certified intructor in your area. if anything learn to stop correctly, you'll save yourself some injury time.

skating as a cross trainer. it will work your hips, abductors, adductors, gluts and your quads. you'll feel these at first. but it balances out the running nicely, running was taken up as a way to work the non-skate muscles, very complimentry to each other.

once you get the skates let me know and i'll set you up with a typed lesson and any contacts i can find in your area, if any.

WOOO HOOO my moment in da SUN

OOOH. I forgot, really look for last years models to save the money. also try to stick to a major name, the reason is the fact that trying to find replacement parts, to include brakes. can be a MAJOR hassle. the three companies may not be the cheapest, BUT they by far will be the easiset to get parts for. any ski shop will have the major name brands of inline skates.

go for Rec/Fitness skates

i could go on forever (big surprise right?)

good work on getting the right terminology too. :thumbsup: your well on your way to becoming a skater already.

Parts? I gotta replace parts?

Thanks for the info. I wrote down the major brands, I might check out a sporting goods store this weekend while I am in the big city.

There is a nice bike/walking/running asphalt trail in the town I work in, it would be good for skating.

typical replacement parts are the brakes, you'll have to replace these. a common part to be replaced are the end caps for the axels. . this will happen after you change wheels out for the first time. until then they should stay in.
a few tricks to prevent losing them
1. tighten them down to only finger tightness, over tightening will strip them out
2. until you feel safe about them you can put a strip of duct tape to secure them in, this will prevent any vibration from loosening them.
3. use LOC-TITE (the blue, no other color) on the thread of the cap replace them, and let them dry for 24 hours before use.
#1 is the best thing, get in the habit of carrying your skate tool, if you hear any (clack, clack, clack) listen for which foot and check for tightness on every axel/bolt.
it sounds bad, but that's only because i am trying to cover ALL conditions here.

Kimba,
I say go for K2s. That's what I wear and they fit great. But every foot is of course different. You should have to replace anything for quite a while since you are just thinking about getting into it. The first thing I had to replace were the wheels, then the bearings. I'm barely having to replace my brake and I've had the skates for a few years. That's my typical schedule though, as with feet, everyone's style is different.

Good Luck! I love skating. HYPER has wonderful advice!!!! :thumbsup:

you live in Denver and you rarely change the brake?? how do you stop, T-stop,spin or mainly run into the grass? heck i gave up a brake here in Atlanta. it just wore out too quickly and i went to the T-stop, or the slalom to a spin. depends on the scenario.

I don't stop! Myabe that's why I'm banged up today!