I recently signed up for a 7k Trail Run, this will be my first one and I was just concerned about the shoes I should wear for it. The trail run is at a golf course and through woods in Nebraska, so I expect that most of it will be on grass and dirt.

I ran track in high school and I did cross country to keep in shape, I am a few years removed from that thought an I am just getting back into shape. I have my old spikes though, they are mid-distance track spikes, at least I think they are. They have heel padding, arch support and about half plastic on the bottom. I used them in cross country too and they still fit nicely I just don't know if they would be suitable for a Trail Run, but my thought process is that they were good enough for XC they are probably good enough for a golf course trail run since half the XC courses I ran were on golf courses. What do you think?

I mostly use Salomon shoes. I tried the brooks Cascadia but I did not like them.
If you race is only grass and mud (no rocks) any running shoes will be fine. Things become more complicated when your trail race is on hilly terrain.

I am not sure of the spikes I have, the are Nike brand and are probably the equivalent of the new Nike Zoom Rival D V. The course should be somewhat hilly, but more than likely will be rolling hills, even still I used these spikes on hilly XC courses in the past. Yeah I assume I will not be running on rocky terrain or pavement of any sort. I have not seen the exact course yet, and if it does have paved or rocky terrain I will use some New Balance trail running shoes I got a few years ago when I used to run on the mountains in Arizona.

That didn't exactly answer my initial question, but it was a good read. The race I had originally asked this question about has come and gone, it turned out there was about half a mile of pavement so XC spikes were not going to work so I used a good broke in pair of New Balance trail running shoes.