Hello! I am pregnant. I haven’t planned it but it happened. The problem is I have glaucoma. I don’t know how my glaucoma medicines will affect my baby. I am also concerned how pregnancy will affect my eyesight. Would glaucoma worsen in pregnancy? I also would like to know what I can do to minimize the risk. This is my first pregnancy and I am really happy about it but I am also extremely concerned.

Hello! You probably didn’t know that pressure tends to decrease in pregnancy. This is probably due to some hormonal reactions in your body which may be beneficial. It is also important to know that any glaucoma medication can affect the fetus and that is the reason why you have to work close with your doctor. There are some eye drops which are not recommended in pregnancy which means that sometimes change of the therapy is needed. You can minimize the absorption of medicines into your blood by pressing on the inside corner of your eye when using eye drops.