I am afraid. My sister's pregnancy is not going well. She has suddenly lost a lot of weight. She feels nausea and she is vomiting all the time. She says it is normal for pregnancy to vomit, but I not sure that it should be so often. I can't make her go to the doctor. Can you tell me why she is experiencing sudden weight loss in pregnancy?

I must say that your sister is acting irresponsibly. How old is she? She must realize that she is responsible for two lives not just one! By symptoms you have described it is possible that she has hyperemesis gravidarum. It is condition in which pregnant women lose the fluids and weight by ongoing vomiting. It can lead to dehydration. It can have severe consequences on her baby. She must go to a hospital so she can receive intravenous fluids and to stop eating or drinking for some time to calm the stomach and then to start eating slowly.

She should definately see a doctor and make sure her blood work comes out normal. However, I was sick as a dog throughout my entire pregnancy. I lost 35 pounds during the pregnancy and another 12 the following few weeks. I couldn't eat anything that wasn't directly from the soil, and if I tried to sneak that seldom french fry I paid for it all night. Everything in the test results were always normal, and my baby was 7lbs 9oz perfectly healthy, now at age 4 she is healthy as a horse (and smart too). Just goes to show that even though it can seem abnormal doesn't mean that it is dangerous.