this is the first time i've blogged b/c i am not sure what i have. the symptoms keep bringing me back to lupus: severe everyday edema of legs, arms, belly, hands, Raynauds, joint pain, fatigue, sensitivity to sun, difficulty concentrating (noticeable change). it's making my life miserable - i have done EVERY home treatment for the swelling but nothing is helping.joint pain wakes me up at night. the only thing i have never really had is a butterfly rash - just flushed skin or patches of red. i'm 23 years old. recently i went through 4 whole days of feeling like my face was going to burn off and i was extremely thirsty (every 10 minutes i was parched no matter how much water i drunk). i took NSAIDs and that help to relieve the pain and burning sensation. then the weekend came and i was outside and again felt like it was burning off so i kept up with the NSAIDs. now that i am back at work, haven't had the burning sensation, just fatigue. the doc did all the tests incl RA and came back negative except for low Vit D (even though i have a lot of dietary Vit D). the doc is not a rheumatologist. i have read that some of you got negative results too - i didn't know you could test negative in a remission?? i have only had the test once - how many times did you take it before it was positive, if it was? do i need to take the test during a flare up??

thanks

Hi honey! First of all BIG HUGS!! second has your doctor order a Anti-SR protein antibody assay test? I also think he should immediately send you to a Rheumatologist! You need to be seen by a professional as Lups is called the Disease of a 1000 Faces! Thus so many people not being diagnosed correctly! Avoid the Sun and Alcohol and I would like you to increase your Vitamin D by 4000 units a day! As Vitamin D deficiency can aggravate your symtpoms and actually cause skin cancer! Please let me know how you make out OK? Good luck and health honey!

thanks bambi27 - the doc did all the lupus tests inclu antibody, etc etc - all neg. just prescribed vit D and also calcium + D everyday. the only thing that the doc said about vit D was that with my diet i should not be vit D deficient so that perplexed her. everything about me perplexed her. but yes, thanks for the encouragement, because i am going to push her to consult with other doctors and refer me to someone who knows how to diagnose. i don't drink/smoke, i eat healthy (have too - can't handle calories/sugar), i exercise as much as i am able (joint pain is very severe and debilitating in waves - i ran all last summer with no problem then suddenly joint pain kicked in and had to stop and went through an incredibly painful fall/winter). my mother has psoriasis and my grandmother has vein issues - so maybe the joints is psoriatic arthritis (the doc suspected psoriasis due to scalp patch/toenail health) and edema from vasculitis, but lupus nephritis could cause edema and lupus explains a lot of everything else. so, a lot of overlap with other conditions - mostly, i would like some way to manage...this..the joint pain i've dealt with for almost ten years, so i'm used to that. at this point the edema and burning/flushing/fatigue flare-ups are the most debilitating and no home treatment is working.

thanks again, sorry to rant.

No problem honey rant away!!! It is overwhelming when you have physical problems and people treat you like you don't know what you are taling about - or worse minimalize your symptoms! It is EXTREMELY satisfying and even somewhat healing to find out what is wrong! Because when your mind is reading all the "COULD BE...." all of a sudden you have more of the symtpoms - then you actually do! This is why I tell people NOT to punch in their symtpoms and read too much - as I say "you will end up with Chinese Purple Measles"! ;-)