I'm 31 years old and donating my kidney to my father (60 years old).  My family has a history of kidney disease, diabetes, and stroke.  Fortunately, I have not developed any symptoms of my family's illness, and I am in good health.  I made the decision to donate my kidney after the list of potential donors was reduced to just myself.  The other candidates for donation were other members of my family, but they're excluded based on factors concerning their own personal health (i.e. hypertension, high blood pressure, mental illness). 

However, my concern is why people don't want me to donate my kidney to my father.  I have spoken with friends and family, and none of them want me to donate.  I believe that people are afraid of the potential risks I will assume based on my family's personal history with kidney disease.  I have already spoken with doctors, surgeons, and nurses regarding the inherent risks.  Apparently, I have approximately a 10% chance of developing kidney problems within the next 10 years.  The 10% chance is based on performing the procedure and donating the kidney to my father.  The doctors who approved me as a kidney donor believe the risks associated with me developing any symptoms of my father's condition are slight.

My biggest concern is what everyone is telling me.  My father's health is failing at best, and he may have additional problems after the procedure.  My question is for someone in the same position.  Did you have second thoughts before sacrificing a piece of your life for someone else?  As the date draws closer to the procedure, I'm thinking of everything that will go wrong.  I want to help my dad, but if I'm making things worse for myself, then I don't believe anyone will line up for me one day.  Please advise. 

I think you should do it!!!! It's your father.  I would do the same thing because my dad has given a lot throughout his life and given so much of his time to me (in other ways, you know).  This is something family does for family and I can understand people being scared for you but it's not that scary.

Great you are.
By the way, now tell me did u gave ur Kidney to father? Is the operation done successfully?
How is his physical conditiion now and yours? Any problems you are facing after donating your kidney?

Be strong enough for anything. WE ALL ARE WITH YOU.

I am considering giving a kidney as a living donor. I just was wondering what the success rate would be and will it affect the quality of my life.my blood type is o neg which is the universal donor. Only six percent of the population has that type and in the past have donated my blood quite frequently.will donation shorten my life? What do I have to do to donate? Would I be placed on a list?

Its a great thing you are going to do. May God bless you