Hi, I am in a great dilemma. A very close friend of mine has been suffering for a long time from a polycystic kidney disease and now hers kidneys have failed. She has been going to dialysis and preparing for kidney transplantation. The problem is that none of her family members can be donors because they are not compatible. I have been thinking of donating one of my kidneys if I match, but I am not sure about the outcome of the transplantation. I mean, I am not familiar with kidney transplant success rates. How long will my friend’s life be prolonged if I gave her one of my kidneys?

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your friend. First of all, let me say that your friend will have a longer and higher quality life with transplanted kidney than if she continues with dialysis. However, transplantation is a serious operation that does not always mean success. No matter, how compatible donor and recipient are, they are never one hundred percent matched, so the chance of rejection of the new kidney is always present. Secondly, because your friend will have to take immunosuppressant drugs she will be at higher risk for some kind of infection. And thirdly, the received kidney can fail. But, with all of these consequences, kidney transplantation is still one of the most successful transplantation operations. The survival rates are over fifty percent after ten years. So I would say that you should not think any longer about your decision. If you really want to help your friend, talk to her about your intentions. I am sure that she will be more than grateful.

you would be a great friend to do that for her. A living donor has a much better success rate than a cadaver. She can always go on a waiting list, can't she?

You can get tested to see if you are compatible with your friend. You'll never know what the outcome will be until it happens.

i received a kidney approx a year ago and i have never been better. i was on dialysis for 9 months and it was literally hell. i received a kidney from my mother which is not my biological mother as i was adopted at birth. The transplant went off without a hitch and taking meds everyday for the rest of my life beats the heck out of the alternative. It is tough and considering my age i got very well quickly but i think anyone can get back on their feet. I hope this helps your friend.

Had my first one for 20 years with no major problems besides being a kid

well i got my transplant 2 years ago and i got it from a living donor

if you have one from a living donor the longer your transplanted kidney is going to last
if you have ever given your fiend a blood transfusion though i wouldnt recomend it because her body already has seen your cells and stuff and it will attack ur kidney like severley
:[

i am very sorry to hear about your friend, if you go to the doctors or to your nearest hostpital the can check for what your blood type is and if it matches your friends then you can go ahead with the kidney transplant, obviously you will survive so don't worry about loosing your life or anything. It must take great bravery and courage to go along with this sort of thing. Oh and one last thing you are a great friend to your friend !!! :)

I am shihab 29 male from kerala in India. I underwent a succesfull kidney transplant surgery 9years back. Now I m feeling better that ever n my parents find a girl for me and by the grace of god, the almighty my marriage will be held on next month. anyone can feel free to contact me at . Thanks

Hi Shihab , Thanks for your encouraging words. Recetly my wife got detected with CKD & I am planning for transplant, could you guide me from which hospital you got it done. I am in India Only . Rgds Umesh

hello shihab,
Its very nice to hear about ur marriage, congratulations sir . Its very encouraging for me to know about you. My mother is suffering from
kidney disease & in future she can go through the transplant . I m very worried about it. Please i just want to have a word with you sir,
How can i ?? i m waiting for your reply ...my id is .

God bless u , wishing u a very happy married life .

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

cindelyn wrote:

Hi, I am in a great dilemma. A very close friend of mine has been suffering for a long time from a polycystic kidney disease and now hers kidneys have failed. She has been going to dialysis and preparing for kidney transplantation. The problem is that no :D :) :( :o :? :cool: :x :P

My name is Zeeshan khan ,i am from Kashmir ,Srinagar.My father is a KidNey Failure patient from last 6 months ,from last 6 months i tried my level best to sort out the statistical sucessful rate of kidney  transplant operation and i founded that 80 to 90 % is  sucess rate.I saw a 12 years old transplant patient who is a fruit seller and his shop is situated on a main road means very good chances of infection and i saw him eating a infectious friuts etc.My cousin told me that there is a  Transplant patient who is OK from last 22 years .So i have seen many of the patient like this.basicaly the fact is that the patient who is good after transplant will suggest it is good but the patient who is not good or died after transPlant,the patients or relatives of patient suggest no it is not good.Why dont we remember majority of patients   are alright so kidney failure patient must go through Transplant .i appreciate you cindelyn you must donate and after Donation you can live a normal life.

we  will also go for Transplant ,please suggest me where i will do that and on low expences.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Manipal is the best place  in India for undergoing kidney transplantation. Manipal is in Karnataka....Near to Udupi....Just some days before My sister undergone kidney transplantation. My Mother is Donor. Both are recovering now.....:-)

Hi.......can anyone please help me plzzzzzzzzzzzzz..m best friend is suffering from Kidney failure...he needs a transplantation within few months So, can anyone help me that how i' will approach the donors or what will be his health condition after the transplant .plz its my request..plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  

my friend abt 22 yrs , has congenital single kidney ie by birth... will he have any naturally increased capacity bcoz of congenital reason.. and can he get easily cope with normal diet and medications.. and with regular check ups.. i need ma friend be with me alwas..