Hi, my father is 63 years old and he is having problem with his kidneys for a long time. When he visited his doctor last time he said that he will have to choose between kidney transplant and everyday dialysis. I would like to know what is prognosis for kidney transplant as he is afraid that his body will reject transplanted kidney.

Hi, kidney transplantation is last solution when you have complete and irreversible renal failure. Situation with rejection depends of several factors. First it is very important who will be the donor. If it is person from family with similar genetic material, then prognosis is very good. If it is kidney from cadaver then it may happen to be rejected. However your father will get immunosuppressive therapy which will improve chances that his body accept new kidney.