Hi, folks. My father is diagnosed with chronic renal failure. Dialysis is not helping anymore and doctors recommend kidney transplantation. I think this is a major step, but he hasn’t got other option. I would like to ask what life expectancy is for kidney transplant. Can anyone tell me? Thanks in advance.

What type of dialysis is he on? Hemo Dialysis? Has he tried Peritoneal Dialysis? Why isn't it working for him? Does he stay within the limit of fluid intake per day to make dialysis easier? Kidney transplants can last as long as 30 years (few cases have lasted longer). My first transplant only lasted 11 years but I am hoping this new transplant I got almost 4 years ago will last longer. How old is your father? Will family be tested to be his donor? There is blood type and tissue matching that would need to be done as well as health history evaluations.

My dad received new kidney in 02/2008. He has not had one episode of rejection. He's 81 & doing great!