Hi, I think that I am allergic to dust. Whenever I vacuum my home I start to sneeze and my eyes itch. I have noticed that these symptoms also appear early in the morning, when I get out of bed. No one in my family has these kinds of reactions to dust. Why am I so sensitive to it? Can you tell me what the dust components that I am allergic to are?

Hi, many people are allergic to dust. It is good that you have figured out on your own the root of your problem. My brother had to undergo series of tests to determine the cause of his allergy. The allergic reactions appear because your immune system sees normal everyday substances as a threat to your health and reacts. As a result you get runny nose and itchy watery eyes. There are a number of dust elements that can cause allergic reactions, but the most common ones are dust mites. These are small creatures that feed on our dead skin cells. The majority of dust mites is found in carpets, pillows and mattresses. This is why your allergy reactions were stronger when you vacuumed. You should get dust mites covers for your pillow and mattress. Also washing your linens more often wit hot water might help. If you have stuffed animals in your room get rid of them, because they are a good home for dust mites as well. And one more thing. You should talk to your family members about vacuuming. Because this activity gets you in contact with dust mites, you should avoid it. Maybe someone else can do that instead of you.