Hi, I have a question regarding my son's allergy. You see, he is allergic to house dust mites. The doctor did a number of tests to determine the cause of his runny nose and watery eyes. It was kind of a relief to finally know the root of his problems. However, his doctor now says that my son actually suffers from perennial rhinitis. The medications that my son uses are the same. Could you explain the difference between allergy and perennial rhinitis?

Hi, there are more and more people suffering from all kind of allergic reactions. House dust mites are one of the most common causes of allergies. The symptoms of allergic reactions are the consequence of the nasal irritation and inflammation. This inflammation that causes runny nose, sneezing and stuffy nose is called rhinitis. Because the rhinitis in your son's case is caused by an allergen that is present all year round, your son's doctor described his condition as perennial rhinitis. Basically, the allergy to dust mites is, in your son's case, the same as perennial rhinitis. That is why the doctor did not change your son’s therapy. I hope that these drugs and the hygiene measures that the doctor has probably talked to you about will improve your son's reaction so that the rhinitis becomes more of an acute reaction rather than perennial condition.