Effexor I can truly describe as the drug from h***! I took it for 3 months, was hospitalized three times for a total of twenty four days, and was even told to keep taking it the day when I advised my doctor where they could take it. All the stomach problems as everyone else, everything in my body dried up to the point of nightly nose bleeds; bowel movement? what's that?!!! All that and zero benefit for the depression. The only time I missed my doses was on the days they admitted me to the hospital, so more than likely satan would have been pleased to have me as a bride! Finally quit the stuff cold turkey. Luckily, I had only about four days of withdrawal symptoms. I am thrilled for all of those who proclaim it a miracle drug, but if you have never tried it before, I advise you to think very carefully about this drug. It appears to be potentially very dangerous! >;)

I am having the same symptoms as many of you and have been on Effexor for 1.5 years. It has made me feel bloated, nauseated, headachie, shakey, cold sweats, etc. It is good to hear that I am not alone. These SSRI's are from Hell because that is what I feel like most of the time on this medication.

I was on effexor at 150 mg for several months. I stupidly check my meds in my baggage on a trip and didn't have it for 3 days. I felt dizzy, nauseous, headachy and overall disgusting. It was that reaction that told me this was not the drug for me. I worked my way down to 25 mg and can't get off it! If I don't take it, by the 2nd day, I have all of those feelings all over again and it's intolerable. The longest I'd gone was 5 days before I had to take it again because I was going crazy with the horrible discomfort. If I split the pill in half, it doesn't help. My dr. said he's never seen anyone with such a reaction to such a low dose. makes me wonder what's going on with my body chemistry because it's clearly not what I should be taking. I just started the pill a few weeks ago and after about a week in, I started getting nausea and gagging very easily. Every time I take effexor now, I gag horribly for about an hour after eating and will gag from just about anything after that. I also constantly feel hungry, even if it's right after I eat and will again start gagging from the hungry feeling. I don't know what to think or do!

I've been farting like a german prostitute since the day I first started on it. I wouldn't mind it if I didn't have to be at work.

I've been on 450mg XR per day for the past month, and experiencing dull stomach ache/intermittant sharp pains approx. 3+ hours after taking my medication. I thought it was due to coffee or Adderall, but now I'm investigating Effexor. Will follow-up!

I have had exactly what you are discribing get off the effexor before it kills you

I have been taking the effexor for 3 weeks and am having similar problems. Severe stomach pains, reflux at night so severe I wake up choking on it (I have never had reflux before I took the effexor).

I spoke to my dr and he said that all SSRIs have a risk of gastric problems. He is decreasing my dose from 150 to (75 + 37.5). I hope that works. My depression is actually better and I have tried other things. I am also having anxiety, tremors, and blurred vision.

There is a more extensive list of side effects available that that one posted. My dr seemed aware of the possibility. He is working with me.

I will check back with my progress

I won't bore you with all the symptoms I have had, on and off this drug, BUT the WORST and most terrifiying part of it all just happenned to me yesterday... due to insurance B.S., (I lost my job) I ws trying to wait a few days before I got my Effexor refill b/c I would have to pay full price if I filled it right away... I had never gone more than a day without it. As I sat there thinking I was just going to die, crying uncontrollably (I live alone... it was pititful) for about 3 days STRAIGHT and I'm not exaggerating.... throwing up, shaking, burning skin and hives, the constant fireworks and electrical shocks blowing up in my brain, messing my ears up, and turning my stomach over, TOTAL confusion and disorientation... I finally decided I'd rather be dead than sit there any longer dealing with it... I decided to blow my last $150 to my name on my refill... I hadn't considered THE SIGNIFICANT DANGER GETTING BEHIND THE WHEEL to DRIVE to the pharmacy.... It was like a combination of when you are so drunk, you get dizzy and know you are getting ready to throw up... (but your'e DRIVING) and a bad DRUG trip (I guess, in a way, it is?).... and then trying to drive, as the hot sun slowly turned my shoulders and chest into a blotchy, burning, red fire pit... like it was burning my skin right off. I was too afraid to take a right onto big roads on a red light, and would have to wait until NO traffic was around, I never got out of 3rd gear, and I drove about 20 the whole way. I was SO disoriented, I kept jumping and getting scared at any movement out of the corner of my eyes, I felt like my car was too big for the road, and every car that I got near, I thought I was going to hit it. I tried to throw a mouthful of water left in a cup out the window (doing about 5 mph) and for some reason freaked out because I thought I had accidentally thrown my car keys out the window. (I SWEAR, Im not exaggerating.) I threw up in my mouth (sorry... gross) a few times, but couldn't pull over..... so I had to get a grocery bag ready in my lap in case I really threw up violently. And while I don't think this is technically illegal in any way, this is just about the WORST POSSIBLE CASE SCENARIO to be in behind the wheel!!!!??? I didn't know what else to do. I'm single, and would NEVER have been able to explain to my sister-in-law or friends why I needed them to go get it for me.... you guys can imagine how annoyed they would be, b/c they wouldn't understand these withdrawal symptoms, and would wonder why in the world you want your refill if it's doing this to you. Plus the money issue, etc etc.... I did have to call my sister-in-law to get me from the pharmacy, and had to go to her house and lay down until the first dose kicked in.... meanwhile, having dreams about large metal objects flying at me, and cutting me all over, dreaiming about being so drunk I couldn't walk or talk and people trying to force me to do things drunk... I woke up a few hours later, SHEET white and feeling like I had been through (well, again) a bad drug trip or something! I knew I'd get carried away and post a novel, but I'm fired up about it all, and want to warn everyone (most people are probably smarter than me, and wouldn't have done it, but most people probably have a husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend... whatever... that would do it for them & I don't!).... DON'T DRIVE IF THIS SH*T IS CAUSING YOU ANY OF THE DISORIENTATION, IMPAIRED COORDINATION ETC!!!! I came home, and did a little research on it all, and there was a specific article about how people are anaware of the effects it can have on you driving, and I know we all want to keep the roads safe! Phew. It's good to have my refill, and to be functional, but I am not WIRED, and sure wish I could sleep like I could before I took it. Life is so messy... I struggle every day with the philosophical/ moral/ ethical meaning behind taking all the medication I have been put on... I can't remember if the former cons were worse than the current cons???

I am having serious issues with my stomach anyway, took my first dose of effexor last night, didn't sleep stomach hurt, hot flashes

Took it for 5 years. fealt great at first. Then started to fall asleep right after dinner. Then really really bad headache. Go to emergency room about 4 months ago. Suppose to be really good. Head scan me then let me sit there. And it happened thought I was checkin out of the Movie. Waiting for Jesus to show up. Doctor said nothing.
Then they stick my ass in real Famous Big Time Hospital and give me Depacote and some other c**p.
Did not know after the SNRI withdrawal. Nobody knew anything nor did they say anything. Then my legs swelled up like ballons freaked out went on web found out stuff and got off that c**p right away. Then my liver hurt and hurt. Now it is better but hurt alittle and guess what got gall Bladder stones. yea
Nobody knew anything all my 5 doctors never said c**p about c**p. so now have been off all drugs 4 months
fealing better but now I have to deal with this gall bladder stuff. I am totally throughly done with these doctor clowns. It took me five minutes to figure out SNRI withdrawal an none of my 5 doctors never said anything plus I had elevated liver enzymes. I would say stay away from this stuff. better off trying some all natural anti depressant or walking or exercising. If this is the future of Medicine we are in trouble.

Hi - I hope that your test come back negative.

I have been using effexor for about three years and few days ago my stumach started to get extremely bloated, had bloody stool, and went to the Dr. After taking tests I was told I have elevated cholestorol and high liver enzyme ( showing that my liver is not functioning properly ). I have researched the side effects of effexor and it seems to have many side effects that are not included in the instructions.

1. causes damage to liver
2. causes lots of stumach pain and bleeding.

and other effects that I have not experienced until now.

I hope that this is helpful and god bless.

Just started taking Effexor xr this week 37.5 from the first day I took it. I had diarrhea, stomach pain, bubbling in stomach, gas, and reflux. I'm on no other medications and this only started after I started taking Effexor; going to the doctor tomorrow to see if I can switch meds.

I was wondering what the pancreas and gall bladder person found out. I know these are old posts. I have been nauseated for months and have wasted away to 105 lbs. Had a colonoscopy and endo today. Negative. CT tests out. I am on Effexor and I am wondering if it is that. Did anyone go off and get better? Weird thing is, I was on effexor for 13 years and no problems. Stopped it in Feb. and started it in June and I am having all these issues. any ideas?

I am no longer taking Effexor after over 13 years. Oh and I also was able to quit taking Nexium for GERD when I got off of Effexor. Yes there are Serotonin receptors in your digestive tract and Effexor is selective for Serotonin and Norepinephrine. Most of the Serotonin in your body is NOT in your brain. Many many Serotonin receptors are in your gut. TRUE FACTS. Check out Neurology websites to learn facts about neurotransmitters.