It seems that the abdominal pain and bladder discomfort I felt were signs of something serious. I have been diagnosed with interstitial cystitis and I started immediately with Elmiron therapy. I would like to know is Elmiron approved by FDA? I mean, I did not heard of any other medication for this disease, so I am a bit suspicious of its effectiveness. What do you say?

I say that you must take what you have, if Elmiron is your only medication choice, well then, you have no choice! Use what you can and hope that side effects wont kick in. I know that Elmiron was approved by FDA, that happened ten years ago. Some studies were done since then and those showed that 38 of patients responded well, which is a big number.

38% effectiveness isn't very high at all, especially considering the side effects.

pierete-

My daughter, age 25, suffers from IC and has went through every treatment doctors have offered. If I can be of any help please blog more. Maybe we can compare notes.
She suffers something awful and would love to find something that helps her.
Elmiron did not help her (though I've known some people it has helped) it also caused her to gain 30 lbs in a year leaving her even more miserable than before.
One thing she has found that helps her is diet. No caffeine, no spicy foods, no citric acid.
I know this really doesn't answer your question but since IC is a "newer" disease I thought any info may be helpful.