I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis and overactive bladder about a year ago, after thinking I was suffering from some kind of bladder infection and being treated for that. But after I finally got diagnosed with interstitial cystitis my urologist had me taking Elmiron, which did help with my overactive bladder a lot, but still didn’t do much for the abdominal pain I have.

My new urologist is suggesting adding Elavil to my treatment, and I’m not sure is it safe to take these two medications together. I’ve already told my doctor that I have headaches from Elmiron, but he still gave me a prescription for Elavil.

Elavil and Elmiron are often the most common combination of medications urologist prescribe to patients suffering from painful interstitial cystitis. Elavil is a tricyclic antidepressant that helps managing the pain, while Elmiron is medication for treating specifically overactive bladder, frequent urination and protecting the bladder wall.

Elavil sure does come with a list of side effects, and headaches are a possibility, but you also have to take into account that different people react to medications differently and that you might not have those side effects.

good we have this pain due to traums .big kick beat badly too yrs ago