I am a 31 year old female and I rarely drink alcohol (once per year, seriously). All the times I've had alcohol, I get a very uncomfortable 'burning' sensation 'down there' almost like what would sound like a urinary tract infection, but it's totally not because I ONLY EVER experience the sensation after I've had alcohol and it occurs within 5 minutes of taking my first drink and lasts for a couple of hours. Is there an explanation for this or a way to intercept it? I've looked ALL OVER the internet and can't find anything.

I wish I knew what to tell you, then it would fix the problem for me too. I could have written your quote myself. Same exact thing here. Rarely do I drink and I tried to drink a glass of wine tonight. Within a few minutes, I had the problem and am quite uncomfortable even as I type this. I have been searching the internet and have found nothing but other folks like us, but no explanations.

Hello, I'm a 31 year old male and I have the same symptoms, so its not just with females. When you find out what causes the sensation, please post it. Thanks.

I read in another blog that it could be from dehydration.

Oh my gosh! I have EXACTLY the same issue. This only started for me after I gave birth to my son last year. I thought it may have been due to a very complicated pregnancy. I find that the burning only affects me with the first drink (and it can be anything that contains alcohol) but if I have a second or third, the sensation goes away. I had some tests last year for this and an itching sensation following the pregnancy, and the only thing that showed up was an increased count of Staph bacteria in my vagina. I think I will have to go back.

I have the excact problem as described above, also. I read that ANY pain after consuming alcohol may indicate cancer, specifically in the area we are all complaining of may be bladder or cervical cancer. I will be seeing my doctor soon and suggest you do the same. It may be nothing, however, it seems impotant enough to have it looked into.

Sounds like: Alcohol-induced peno-dynia, google it.

Guest wrote:

No, I looked this up. Completely different disorder which seems way more serious, and it says the sensation doesn't begin until an hour after ingestion.

I have this problem too, and I'm a 19 year old male. Within minutes of drinking alcohol (any type) it will happen, and it will go away in about 20 minutes or less, and doesn't come back if I drink more. I've dealt with it for a few years with no problems, it's just really annoying.

I've come across it on several medical forums and no one has an answer, and everyone who says they're going into their doctor don't come back with any results. Sounds to me like some sort of allergic reaction to alcohol. I had no idea chemicals could get into your system that fast though, and it's at the tip of the urethra, so somehow the alcohol is either getting through the kidneys and bladder and causing a reaction up the urethra, or the actual tissue of the urethra is responding to alcohol in the bloodstream.

I sometimes experience the same thing. No one has any ideas why this happens?

I also have this problem, it occurs as you say minutes after drinking alcohol and if I then drink water it will go away. However, I also get this problem if I simply don't drink LOTS of water... I always drink a fair amount anyway but if I go a couple of hours without I begin to get the same feeling. Perhaps this is due to dehydration? So far, haven't had any luck visiting doctors... anyone else?

I am a 41 year old male and have experienced this since childhood (with nyquil) and it continued as an adult with liquors. It is immediate and excruciating! The pain would start within seconds of ingesting and then within minutes I was as a child "pinching my penis" with hopes of some kind of relief. I think maybe the pinching made it worse! It is embarrassing because when explaining it to a doctor I don't get a real response. It almost seems impossible that any substance could travel that fast. Thanks for posting this, it is a relief that there other urethra and "penis pinchers" out there :-D

I'm a 23 year old female and this happens to me too. I've had this sensation ever since i started drinking alcohol and it is the exact same sensation that everyone has described. Drinking water does help so maybe that has something to do with it. I'm going to ask my gyno about this on my next visit. If anyone has found any answers post it! There's nothing on the internet!

I am a 21 year old female and suffer from a similar problem but my pain and discomfort always starts when I wake up if I have been drinking alcohol on a night out. It can sometimes be unbearable but I haven't been able to see a doctor yet. It does feel good though to know I'm not the only one out there who suffers from this but it's a shame anyone has to suffer in this way.

Hello everyone, I have the exact same problem as the ladies above, and I am very worried! I know this thread is more than 2 years old. Did anyone find out what was the reason behind this burning sensation after the first alcohol drink?!!

I am a 16 year old male and I have the very same problem. I am a virgin so the chances for me having a STD are slim. I would still love to know why. Thanks

anonymous wrote:

I am a 25 year old female and I have the burning sensation but its in my rectal area, and its also like Im about to poop my pants kinda feeling every time I drink alcohol, even if its only a sip. I really wish I knew what the prob is has anyone else ever felt this feeling?