I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis. I feel an urgent and frequent need to urinate. I also feel intense pain in my bladder area. I was prescribed with Elmiron. A friend of mine was diagnosed with IC too and she was prescribed with Ibuprofen. Is Elmiron for IC? I still feel the pain.

Hi. Oral meds, such as aspirin and ibuprofen are usually prescribed for patients with IC who feel a mild discomfort. However, you feel intense pain. Elmiron is the first oral drug for IC. Elmiron is approved by the FDA. Med experts still doesn`t know how exactly does it works. The recommended dosage of Elmiron is 3 times a day. Persons with IC may feel pain for the first 2-4 months. You will probably feel a frequent urge to urinate up to 6 months. People with IC should be on therapy for at least 6 months.

My daughter suffers from IC. Just FYI she was told Ibuprofen and aspirin will make IC flare up and should only take Tylenol.
Elmiron did not help her nor did the DSMO (or is it DMSO?) treatments.

I added to my post yesterday and somehow deleted an added comment.
My daughter, age 24, suffers from IC. This is so debilating for her. Her bladder holds 8 oz. of fluid. She has been to many specialists (even to the Cleveland Clinic) to try to get help.
Many family practioners do not know alot about IC so here are a few more pointers and info that she has been given from uroligists.
People with IC most always show blood in their urine. The only way to tell if there is an infection is to do a culture. Anti-biotics will actually flare up IC and should be taken as a last resort. (Same with ibuprofen and aspirin). She takes Tylenol and occasionally will take Uristat.
DSMO (or DMSO, I always transpose that) treatments only help a minority of patients. They did not help her.
Also diet is a key factor. No acidy foods or juices. No caffeine. Blueberries (and blueberry juice) is suppose to help IC. If buying blueberry juice read the label. So many of them have apple juice (a NO NO) in them.
As you may or may not know, IC is still being researched. What the doctors say now may change with new research.
Let's hope there is a cure soon.